Colorado trying to improve the life of livestock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d say it will wreck their agriculture business. I’m not sure about imports or if the animals can be hauled out of CO, castrated/pregged and return to CO. I’m really surprised they didn’t mention how horrible branding cattle is. Last I knew (I lived in CO from 1999-2002) CO was still an open range state and like @dennishoddy mentioned several folks cattle will run together at certain times of the year. Therefore branding is very important. CO is also much stricter on hauling livestock. You’ve got to get a brand inspector to look at any animal you buy and get a brand inspectors hauling permit for whichever particular animal you’re hauling if you are going further than 75 miles. Any animal you haul to a salebarn you better have a brand inspection for that animal or some other way to prove you’d recently purchased it. I dunno about today but I’d say 15-20yrs ago that stealing cattle out there wouldn’t be near as easy as it is in other states.

That has changed some then...

...when we were on the farm/ranch, we had cows and calves on some pasture land located in the corner of Colorado. We also summered some on another guy's "ranch" in Colorado. Neither was 75 miles from our farm/ranch. We did have to have a brand inspector check the brands from the other guy's ranch, but there was no need of a hauling permit. But then, we were hauling our own cattle with our own truck and horse trailer.

The cows and calves on that one pasture we drove to and from with horses instead of with trucks or horse trailers. (That pasture was close to the river and too sandy for heavy vehicles like the truck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom