Colt 3 round burst question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the Ruger AC556 had a few problems with its three round burst setup. Because of the way it was designed, you really had no good control over whether you would get 1 round, 2 or a full 3 when you pulled the trigger.

Basically, it amounted to trigger control. If you didn't need the 3 rounds and let off the trigger before all three ran, the ratcheting system didn't reset back to zero.

I'm wondering, does the Colt system do the same thing in burst? or can you be sure of getting 3 rounds every time?

I know, I can hold the trigger and get my full three to be sure, but you don't always need 3.

Just curious. I'm pretty sure I have one of the 4 position kits around somewhere, but I was thinking about the 3 position one just for giggles.

Dave

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the Ruger AC556 had a few problems with its three round burst setup. Because of the way it was designed, you really had no good control over whether you would get 1 round, 2 or a full 3 when you pulled the trigger.

Basically, it amounted to trigger control. If you didn't need the 3 rounds and let off the trigger before all three ran, the ratcheting system didn't reset back to zero.

I'm wondering, does the Colt system do the same thing in burst? or can you be sure of getting 3 rounds every time?

I know, I can hold the trigger and get my full three to be sure, but you don't always need 3.

Just curious. I'm pretty sure I have one of the 4 position kits around somewhere, but I was thinking about the 3 position one just for giggles.

Dave

The M16 burst mechanism (3rd burst and 4-way) do NOT reset. If you let off part way thru a burst, your next pull will only finish the remainder of the burst. I have used a Colt 4-way FCG in my M16 before and removed it because I did not like the fact that it would not reset.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I always thought that 3 round burst would be cooler than full on f/a. When I started looking into it I realized that it didn't reset and that I could control the bursts myself with the trigger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom