Colt Commander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I am watching the disassembly video, at 50 seconds the poster dry fires the frame with the slide removed -- I am not a 1911 guru; but this goes against what I have been taught about the 1911, I have been told that it can damage the frame and the hammer -- I myself have not seen the damage.

This is usually where my old man (my father, a great man -- becomes even greater as I get older) would reach across and smack the right side of the top of my head (I swear I can feel the mark; I call it the "dent in my head") -- Old School !!!

So has anyone ever seen the damage?

Even the Colt owners manual advises against it:
Page 14;
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/...com/downloads/mkiv+series+80+&+90+pistols.pdf

Hey, it is his firearm, but as a frequent used firearm buyer, I think I would like to know how a firearms is maintained.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, I'm looking at the Ruger 1911. They have their equivalent to the Commander with an aluminum alloy frame and a stainless steel slide and it looks interesting. Any thoughts on the Ruger?

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, the Ruger 1911 should cost $1000. With that said, for not much more the Colt XE series is the best buy on the market. If you was to send off a plain jane 1911 and have a gunsmith do the extra's, they alone would cost $1000. The XE LW Commander is around $900ish.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to throw another into the hat for consideration. I had been looking at 9mm 1911s for awhile and really liked the Dan Wesson 4" bull barrel model, except for the price. I was also considering a Ruger Cdr when I stumbled on a Springfield Armory RO Elite Champion. It was made up exactly like the DW I had been looking at. I grabbed it and have been extremely satisfied with it. Came in a pkg with a nice range bag and 5 mags. I'm close to 1000 rds thru it with nary a hiccup. Wasn't sure I would like the bull bbl but I really do. Once you get accustomed to the takedown it's quick and easy. Very accurate. I may change the front sight out tho' as I am not sure of the durability of a fiber optic. I shot it today and it has my SIGs in the safe right now. I posted a pic in a holster thread a few minutes ago. The Ruger is good but I like this one better. Might still find a good price on one with some searching. After I had mine awhile I saw one in H&H marked for LE only at over $950. My pkg came in over $100 less than that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom