Colt Commander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife has a Kimber 9mm Pro Carry II, Springfield RO Compact, Colt XSE Lightweight and Colt XSE all steel Commander all in 9mm. The Springfield is the least reliable of them all having occasional FTF's She carrys the Colt lightweight the most but the Colt all steel is the one that runs best and shoots best. Probably due to the weight. That said the gun she carry's more than any other is her SIG P239 SAS

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those Rugers are really nice for not a whole lot of money. I'd skip the Colt and go Dan Wesson Eco for more money. Leaps and bounds better than anything mentioned.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20190222_154928.jpg Maybe I got lucky with my Springfield but with right at a thousand rounds, mostly HST, it just purrs. I've owned Dan Wesson Valor, V-Bob, and ECO, a few lesser expensive Colts over the years and it works for me. The trigger is a little better on the DWs but I had more malfunction with each of them than I have had with my half the cost Springfield. But the best trigger I ever had was a issue 5" that was worked over by the AMU in the 60s. Got to carry it for several years, then got promoted and had to turn it in.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, I'm torn between the Ruger Commander and the Colt Combat Commander. I'd like to give my LGS the business, but since he isn't a stocking dealer, Colt won't deal with him. The leaves the next choice: the Ruger Commander, which is somewhat less expensive but still a fine quality American-made firearm.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, I'm looking at the Ruger 1911. They have their equivalent to the Commander with an aluminum alloy frame and a stainless steel slide and it looks interesting. Any thoughts on the Ruger?

I've had one for a couple years, and it's quite the pistol. It's the aluminum frame version (not sure they offer one in steel).

Very accurate, and it gobbles up some "problem" reloads I bought that seem to be a bit too long for most chambers. Those rounds can choke my CZs and that takes some doing; they flat lock up my Hi Power clone on the first round. The Ruger just don't care. I'd say buy with confidence.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There seems to be somewhat of a problem with the magazines. Specifically, it is said in the magazine's review/comments section on shopruger.com that the last couple of rounds were extremely hard to load, making the pistol in effect, a 7+1 handgun. I asked Ruger CS about this, mentioning that I had an Uplula loading device.

Here is their response:

Thank you for your inquiry Gary. The design of the magazine is intended to deliver consistent performance through the entire cycle of the magazine, which is why it does have a heavy spring. The Uplula magazine speed loader is the best option currently for loading these magazines. We hope this answers your question

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The decision to get a Commander-style 1911 has been put off for a while. I have an old Officer's style 9mm made by RIA that I have decided to play around with once more. It had issues of reliability that a Kansas gunsmith had to deal with, so I put the gun on the back burner There was an additional reason as well and that was that I had the devil's own time reassembling it after field stripping. Watching a you-tube video on how to do it showed me what I was doing wrong so I am a lot more confident with the process.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO the Ruger is the best 1911 for the money. You can spend more with Colt, Dan Wesson, Wilson, Baer etc, but he Ruger has all of the features of the high end guns. A nice adjustable trigger, beavertail grip safety, lowered and flared ejection port, etc. If you want a nice AND pretty gun, but my Colt I have listed in the classifieds!!

RUGER
IMG_4256.JPG

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The decision to get a Commander-style 1911 has been put off for a while. I have an old Officer's style 9mm made by RIA that I have decided to play around with once more. It had issues of reliability that a Kansas gunsmith had to deal with, so I put the gun on the back burner There was an additional reason as well and that was that I had the devil's own time reassembling it after field stripping. Watching a you-tube video on how to do it showed me what I was doing wrong so I am a lot more confident with the process.
This pistil requires a pin be inserted into a hole in the guide rod to 'capture' or block the recoil spring bushing. Skip to the 16:00 mark to see what I'm referring to.

Is there a better tool than a paperclip that I could use? I've tried that route and it is very awkward for me. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom