Colt Detective Special 3rd Series

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try shooting your DS with the factory wood grips first. Those Gen 3 grips work well for many. If you decide not to use them be sure to carefully save the wood. They are pretty pricey to replace.

I'm trying to learn to like those wood grips, but it's a slow process. I've thought about trying a Tyler T-grip, but I've read that dealing with the company is a nightmare. Anyone know if that is still the case?

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had no luck digging through the used holster bin at the LGS. Any recommendations for an "off the shelf" OWB holster to use while I make my mind up on a custom holster?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Snub nose holsters. Here's the ones I like.
Bianchi copy of the Berns-Martin
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN5554_zpsi2ygcwjj.jpg

Galco
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_640ND.jpg

Galco Royal Guard
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN0298.jpg

Bianchi Pistol Pocket 3S
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_S3000059.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Top one is a Kramer pancake, OWB for my Bulldogs.

i.imgur.com_3DMYmx8.jpg

I'm with Junior here; it's tough to beat these Kramers for sheer toughness, especially in Horsehide. I have a Kramer Pancake for a 1911 I've had for years that has worn like iron. Just ordered another one too. They aren't maybe the prettiest holsters around. (See Sparks or Rosen), but they are the most durable, toughest ones.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my thread about 442s, I ended up with a beautiful 1977 Colt DS. The funny thing is that I walked into the pawn shop to look at an Armscor M206 and walked out with the Colt for an extra $200.

Even though it's in excellent condition, I've decided that I will carry it on occasion. If any of you have a favorite snubby holster, either OWB or IWB, I'd love to see them.

Also, even though I like the wood grips, they just don't feel right. I'm debating between Tyler T-grips and maybe a Pachmayr Compac grip. Any opinions are welcome.

I'll try to add pics shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got it for 400? Usually RIAs go for 200-220. That is a really killer deal!

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got the new holster and Pachmayr Compacs. I'm really happy with both.

The Compacs are just big enough to be comfortable without adding a lot of bulk...and they're very comfortable.

The holster was purchased on ebay for $35. I was afraid it would end up being a POS, but it's actually pretty nice. The DS fits perfectly, and it carries nicely.

I'll still carry the G26 when working around the house, but the Colt is now my "going to town" carry piece.

cows.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom