Colt Gold Cup National Match .45 Issue and Assistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, after almost 12 years, I finally found the new crown jewel of my gun collection. I got the Gold Cup my Dad owned, the very same one, and it only took me 12 years to track it down. Series '80 Gold Cup National Match.

Well, it had been a safe queen for the past 12 years, and hadn't been shot. Guy who had it even had a bag of reloads my dad used in, believed to be light loads, which means he was probably using the light recoil spring. They functioned flawlessly the day I got it, even after my wife's jaw dropping when I pulled the cash out of the bank account. She likes shooting, but isn't a gun girl per se. She never complains when I buy one and even lets me invest ammo and reloading accessories.

Anyways, back to my dilemma. I got home with, lightly oiled it down, ran a swap down the chamber, and got what I could. Tried to disassemble, but unfortunately it is not like a 92FS, RIA 1911, or most modernistic pistols I have experience with. The slide stop does not come out like it does on most........and is stuck about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch from being installed fully.
Next day, went to break it down, and read the manual. Tried to push the recoil spring plug to try and rotate remove, per manual. Well, it does not depress. I applied a more liberal coat of oil, and let it set for a few days, applying more oil to it as time went by and it evaporated or soaked in.

Again, this time even using a bushing wrench, tried again. Will not compress. Then tried some more oil, and again, will not compress. I cannot lock the slide back, the empty mag lock back does not operate, and as such, do not wish to try and get it to function with live rounds. (kid is drooling to try it since he is more of a gun guy than me.)

What have I done incorrectly, and how can I fix it? It appears to have a full length slide installed.

I know that I have missed out not owning a true 1911, I know Glocks are better, and know that the .45 ACP is the king of all pistol rounds.

Thank you for your assistance, and time, and look forward to the help!

Attachments

• 20220627_181245.jpg
    20220627_181245.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220627_184056.jpg
    20220627_184056.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, after reading the responses, I revisited my pictures and could see the hex key on the guide rod. Sometimes, I just get so wrapped up in something and can't see the angles for the glare of a flashlight looking down into it.

Used an appropriate sized allen wrench, and it came a part. I just was trying to avoid marring up the finish, and looking closer, could see where something had scratched up under the slide lock to slip it out. It was a booger even with guide rod out.

Well, now I can trybto figure out what strength of spring is in it so I can determine if it will take full reloads or just light ones and go from there.

Loads that were being used by my Dad are 750 FPS, and I have the recipe (for the most part), and I might just start reloading .45 for that.

She is liable to become a safe queen like a couple of his rifles, but promised my boy he could go with me and shoot it after I got it all cleaned up and checked out.

She is a dream. Shoots like one, feels like one.

Thank ya'll for the assistance. I do appreciate it and a better range report will be forthcoming.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on the round you shoot the recoil spring will be 13 to 17 pounds, typically. Since you intend to shoot full power loads look at 16 or 17 pounds. Maybe even an 18 pound. Check out Wolf Springs. Gunsprings.com. their springs are some of the best. They are inexpensive. And they sell gun tune spring sets with a few springs of various weights so you can try them to find out what suits you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom