Colt revolver at Sooner State Pawn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
They are advertising a Colt New Service revolver chambered in 357 magnum. Has 357 on the barrel too.

Manufactured in 1920. Is that possible?
Yes. Probably started life as a 38 SPL then was rechambered to 357mag.

OR, the date was incorrect , like a number off, or read the date for a Colt gun with the same SN but different model, etc.

But new 1920, 357mag? No.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Probably started life as a 38 SPL then was rechambered to 357mag.

OR, the date was incorrect , like a number off, or read the date for a Colt gun with the same SN but different model, etc.

But new 1920, 357mag? No.
That's what I thought. I thought that caliber came along later but wasn't sure.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this online.

Colt dumped many parts on the market in the 50's,and some new .357 cylinders and bbls. were installed on older New Services. ANY serial number below somewhere in the 335,000 range did NOT start out as a .357 New Service(I can't give you the exact range,as my books are not here where I type this,from memory).2)Numrich Arms,now Gun Parts Company,made up a bunch of .357 New Service barrels/cylinders,to convert older New Services. Some of the bbls. were as long as 8". They have a ramp front sight,and of course NO Colt markings.3)I mentioned the round butt earlier,but some .357 New Services,were ordered with the square butt,and even some with lanyard rings,especially for police depts.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom