Colt Woodsman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, actually a pre-Woodsman...anyone here messed with these guns much? I don't recall owning a Colt anything before, and was looking at one of these. Any pros/cons to one I need to hear? This one is a 6" (6.5"?) target model I believe, 1926 vintage if I looked the s/n up right. TIA

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is going from memory.
I believe somebody wrote in to one of the gun magazines years ago asking about shooting one of the old, old models like that.
They were advised to use only standard velocity .22 LR ammo in it, to avoid any unnecessary wear on the gun.
(I think they are neat little pistols but have to say I've never owned one.)

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that some require standard velocity ammo only, and you need to avoid the mini-mags and 'stangers'. However my knowledge is extremely limited regarding older Woodsman pistols...but I did just come across this warning with photos a few days ago while skimming the internet...so it does exist.

My Woodsman is a 1967 vintage, so I didn't pay attention to the article as much.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little info from the trusty ol' book.

1640286558898.png

Spitfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is a 2nd series Woodsman circa 1949. Always shot anything thru it, no problems. Very reliable and very accurate. Fits your hand really well and pointability is excellent as well. I have 1 colt magazine and 1 aftermarket. They both work just fine.