Comments on Gun Control From the Unknowing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of the attitude displayed by the hosts is ignorance of the true facts about guns and violence,,,
Ignorance can be cured with education if they would open their minds and accept it.

The problem lies in something that isn't easy to discuss,,,
Most of the anti-gun folk are plain cowards.

They wouldn't defend themselves if they had the means,,,
And they are frightened by anyone who would.

Here's one of my favorite essays,,,
It makes my point very well.

It's 26 years old but a great read none-the-less.
A Nation of Cowards

I work with a lot of liberal thinking folk,,,
Most of them are highly educated but not very bright.

They all have the same thoughts in that they shouldn't have to defend their selves or their family,,,
They say:
  • Isn't that why we have laws?
  • Isn't that why we pay for a police force?
  • Isn't the government supposed to keep me safe?

But if you look them in the eye and ask this one simple question,,,
If you are not willing to defend yourself or your family,,,,
why should I or anyone else for that matter?

They look at you as if you were growing horns.

I understand it,,,
nobody likes to be called a coward.

It's like calling them snowflakes,,,
It just angers them and makes them dig their heels in more

But in fact that's what they are,,,
Cowards who will legislate our rights away,,,
Because they are as afraid of us as they are of real criminals.

Freedom is made and held by people who aren't cowards,,,
In our society the cowards have outnumbered the brave for a long while.

I could go on and on about this but I won't,,,
It should be readily apparent.

Aarond

The problem is, their methodology is catastrophically flawed. It precludes the option that a well heeled gentleman or lady agrees with them.

I shouldn't have to defend my family. It is why we have laws. It is why we pay a police force. The government should keep us safe (in the general, overarching sense). But when all that fails the difference between them and us is that we're not gonna be standing there with our dicks in our hands saying "Well I guess I'm just ****ed!"

I don't know any vigilantes. I don't know anyone itching to pull the trigger on another human being. I have no bloodthirst. I'm just more pragmatist than theorist. When social theory breaks down and fails, I may ***** about it but I'm gonna roll up my sleeves and wade in to fix the problem, so I can go back to my regularly scheduled life as quickly as possible. That's it in a nutshell.

Your post reminds me of a favorite movie quote. Don't know if you've ever seen Watchmen, but it has some universal truths.

616311324-sRpYQ.jpg

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Convince them that police clean up the mess after it happens. They rarely prevent the crime. The burden is upon the indivdual to protect him/herself or their families.
Do you want a baseball bat to prevent rape or home invasion, or a pistol. Put it in simple terms.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you want a baseball bat to prevent rape or home invasion or a pistol. Put it in simple terms.

My point is that most people I know,,,
Wouldn't defend themselves if they had a sub-machine gun.

They (as most of the post-boomer generations) have lost the will to fight back under any circumstances,,,
It's why they vote for politicians who say they will make the world "safer" by banning guns.

My sister-in-law might try to scare away a home invader by pointing a gun at them,,,
But I seriously doubt whether she would (or even could) pull the trigger.

That survival mindset has been "educated" out of her.

People say I am too harsh when I use the word coward,,,
But it seems to me that it is the exact proper word.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found the quote,,,
Sure wish I could find the meme.

"If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives,
then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls.

You regard their ways as 'wrong.'
They regard you as dinner."

John Farnam​

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an old post of mine which is perhaps relevant to this thread:

I'd like to think that people can learn from their mistakes and I believe that most can, but one exception is the ideologue. An ideologue is a person who is a fervent believer in a set of--to them--truths. Please note that I at least, don't include religious beliefs, even though I suppose that in a strict sense, they could be. Tom Clancy gave a very good example of ideology in action in his very excellent novel, Red Storm Rising. For years, the Soviets had to import vast quantities of grain from the US, Canada, and Australia.due to poor harvests. On their collective farms, which were the main domestic source of grain, each worker had a small plot on which he could grow whatever he wished. These small private plots made up less than 2% of the arable land in the USSR, yet they accounted for over half the fresh vegetables poultry and dairy output. The Party bosses knew this, and also that their food shortages could be ended almost overnight by increasing the size of the small plots, yet they refused to do this. Why? Because it was not consistent with Communist ideology.

In the same way, if there is an owner of a convenience store who is a True Gun-Control Believer and has a 'no guns' sign up, in the midst of a dozen other stores with no such signs, and he is the only one who gets robbed, he will invent all sorts of reasons for this, but he will not accept the sign as one of them. It will always be something else. An illustration of this mindset was just after Kwik-Shop took their signs down, I stopped in one day soon after to get an iced tea. I said to the clerk that I was glad to see the sign down. Her response was "Well I'm not. Now anyone with a gun can just walk in and shoot me." It was busy so I didn't respond. I just left.

There are other examples as well.

My basic point is this: these people rarely change their belief system. It does happen, (Paxton Quigley is a prime example) but it is rare.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paxton Quigley....careful there Gary; you're dating yourself. That guy was legendary amongst us teen-age lotharios back in the day...until.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paxton Quigley....careful there Gary; you're dating yourself. That guy was legendary amongst us teen-age lotharios back in the day...until.
Uhh.............not the same PQ, it seems. The one I'm referring to is a lady in her 70's who was an ardent supporter of Bobby Kennedy. Ms Quigley seems to have had an epiphany on guns after a friend was attacked and now is an advocate of women protecting themselves with guns.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uhh.............not the same PQ, it seems. The one I'm referring to is a lady in her 70's who was an ardent supporter of Bobby Kennedy. Ms Quigley seems to have had an epiphany on guns after a friend was attacked and now is an advocate of women protecting themselves with guns.

Yeah, different PQ’s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom