Communications ...***

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acope

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Aeronautical Center Amateur Radio Club will be offering amateur radio licensing classes on three upcoming Saturdays in April, followed by amateur Radio Licensing exams on the first Saturday in May. Bring a sack lunch if you wish or there are several fast food restaurants you can visit within a short distance. I'll have a list of those for you at the first meeting. These classes will be for the Technician class license which is the entry-level license that conveys all privileges on VHF and UHF frequencies, plus limited HF frequency and power privileges. These classes will be held during the three April Saturdays (April 5th, April 12th, and April 26th) from 8 AM to 4 PM with a one hour break at 11:30 for lunch. The fourth Saturday (May 3rd) will be a review at 10 AM (optional) followed by the exam at noon. The location of the classes and exam will be the Oklahoma City Fire Training Center, at 800 N. Portland. The building we are in is to the east, so you may park in the east parking lot, and go in either of the two east doors. The classroom we are in will be posted at the outside doors so you can't miss it.

We do not charge for the classes, but do require that a book be either purchased or shared. You can order a book from the amateur radio national organization, the American Radio Relay League, (ARRL) at the following website. I can also pick up one for you from the FAA bookstore if you let me know a week in advance (limited quantities). The cost of these books will be 30.00. The ARRL Website to order books: http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual-Revised-2nd-Edition/

This class typically is offered in the spring and fall of each year. It is available on-line as well. If you have any further questions, need directions, or otherwise, you can call me at the phone numbers below, or reach me at my email address: [email protected]

Hope to see you there!

73 (Best Regards),

Paul N5PT

Paul Thompson
AJW-143 (formerly AOS-241) Contract Support
National Airway Systems Engineering Office (NASE)
(405) 954-9044 (work)

(405) 833-2364 (cell)

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
acope has just posted a golden opportunity for those of you wanting to get the license. I know many of the folks in the Aeronautical Center Amateur Radio Club and you couldn't ask for a more friendly group to help you get started. I was a member for years until health and other issues conflicted with the time I was spending with the group. They have a really great group of instructors and volunteer examiners. If you sit through the classes and make a reasonable effort, you will not fail the test. Go for it...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to post this here for you current or soon to be hams interested in some quality SHTF commo training from a former 18e.

http://sparks31.wordpress.com/upcoming-training/

November 8th-9th, 2014 – Tulsa, OK

The class will revolve around the basics of low power/qrp/covert operation with low-profile/improvised antennas, and communications monitoring focused for VHF/UHF COMINT. It will consist of classroom instruction and a field training exercise (FTX). The FTX will be held *rain or shine*. Dress and equip yourself appropriately. It is strongly advised that the attendee have at least a general class ham license, as HF operation will be involved. If you don’t have a general license, you can do a COMINT/monitoring track on the Sunday FTX. you will ALSO receive a copy of my new book “Grid-Down Communications.”

Topics to be discussed will include:

Considerations for III%er/Grid-Down Communications
Equipment Selection
Improvised Antennas
Low Profile/Covert Operations
Basic Cryptographic Systems and Techniques
Non-Radio Communications Options
IFF (Identification Friend/Foe) and Interoperability System Considerations
Basic Improvised Surveillance/Security Systems – Off The Shelf Solutions
VHF/UHF Communications Monitoring/COMINT (Communications Intelligence) Equipment and Systems
Basic COMINT and COMINT Analysis

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a reminder that the Ham Radio Field Day is June 28,29 2014, this coming weekend. For those of you interested in experiencing Ham Radio for the first time, go out and have some fun at one of the field day sites.
Go here to find the closest site to you http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator I love to operate field day, but this year I will probably miss as I am scheduled for another surgery Tuesday and may not be recovered enough
for the field day activities. Most field day sites that I have ever been associated with encourage un-licensed guests to sit down and operate under the control of a licensed ham. Lots of fun and I hope those of you who
are interested in radio communications will take advantage of it. The evening hours are usually a good time as the temperature is down from the days heat and the number of operators at each site is usually lower in the evening.
This will operate for 24 hours. Good luck and enjoy.. Blitzfike

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an old RCI 2950 from back in the high school days. It can do 10 and 11 meter but I always stayed on the 11 meter band as a kid (when a cell phone was too expensive thing people carried in bags). Always figured in a real pinch, emergancy comms were allowed by anyone. Plan on getting a tech license (if that's even the proper term any more) so I can build a mobile rig when I turn the wifeys old SUV into our BOV. Till then, I plug in and listen from time to time. ;)

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a good video on communications from NatGeoTV.com and "Doomsday Preppers":

[video]http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/doomsday-preppers/videos/to-communicate-is-to-survive/[/video]

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the event of a major regional or nationwide disaster, will people who use ham radios without a license be fined or suffer some other form of reprimand?

Latest posts

Top Bottom