Communications ...***

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was issued a General Radiotelephone Operators License (GROL) back in the early '80's and was just curious as to whether having that would have any weight on the entry level HAM license (Technician) score?

Also, I once tested for a HAM license but the Morse Code section [of the testing] was always my downfall. Has that requirement been eliminated now?

Last edited:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was issued a General Radiotelephone Operators License (GROL) back in the early '80's and was just curious as to whether having that would ass any weight on the entry level HAM license (Technician) score?

Also, I once tested for a HAM license but the Morse Code section [of the testing] was always my downfall. Has that requirement been eliminated now?
I've got a General license. Code is no longer required during testing. It's pretty cool to talk with people around the world with an antenna in my attic. There is a fair sized HAM community in Oklahoma and the Edmond Amateur Radio Society is active in community events - parades, monthly warning siren tests, OKC Memorial Marathon, etc.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might matter to some Ham radio operators deciding if they wanted to talk back with you or not if you did not have a valid license. Especially locally since we are a pretty close knit group. We do welcome everyone in who wants to go through the easy procedure to get a license and we are willing to help out in any way we can, but we are also protective of our hobby. JMO

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might matter to some Ham radio operators deciding if they wanted to talk back with you or not if you did not have a valid license. Especially locally since we are a pretty close knit group. We do welcome everyone in who wants to go through the easy procedure to get a license and we are willing to help out in any way we can, but we are also protective of our hobby. JMO
Even in an apocalypse situation? And how would you know if someone is using bogus call letters?

Not trying to be a wise guy, just curious. :drunk2:
___

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us know a hundred or so hams in our individual local area. Call sign, name, and voice recognition. Along with that we usually have a computer sitting close to verify items about who we are talking with. Most of us can also tell what direction you are from each one of us while we are talking. As I posted earlier, we are a tight knit group, but we also will bend over backwards to help anyone who wants to legally join in our hobby. It is so easy to do there is no reason to not be legal. JMO

Latest posts

Top Bottom