Commuting to the act of blasphemy on a lever action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I recently picked up a Marlin 1894 from a member on here, fulfilling a longtime dream of having a 357mag lever gun. It’s gonna be a dedicated brush/hog/truck gun. After messing around with it (haven’t had time to get to the range) I’ve found a few things: the forend is wide and awkward, the buttstock doesn’t give me enough cheek weld, and it’s heavier than expected. My hand is also too wide for the lever. It is a fine firearm otherwise.

so I’m gonna save the original wood, and turn it into a cowboy assault rifle. Bring the fire and stake, I’m ready. Here’s the questions:

cutting the barrel down to 16.25”, I understand it won’t affect the ballistics much, but is it gonna be worth it? Am I going to regret it?

Anyone on here have a carbon fiber bagging system?

Ive looked and searched, and have been unable to find a straight stock synthetic stock for the 1894. Anyone have one, or know of one?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A cousin had a Winchester Trapper in 30-30 with an Aimpoint on it. Shooting that taught me that a lever carbine is just a joy to carry and shoot.

Only negative in cutting the barrel back on that gun is it reduces sight radius of your irons. Chop it and put a RDS on it, you're not going to hurt the ballistics enough to notice if at all. Unless your wood is highly figured just alter it to your liking if you have the skills to do so. Modern lever actions aren't rare. Make it yours is what I say.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
A cousin had a Winchester Trapper in 30-30 with an Aimpoint on it. Shooting that taught me that a lever carbine is just a joy to carry and shoot.

Only negative in cutting the barrel back on that gun is it reduces sight radius of your irons. Chop it and put a RDS on it, you're not going to hurt the ballistics enough to notice if at all. Unless your wood is highly figured just alter it to your liking if you have the skills to do so. Modern lever actions aren't rare. Make it yours is what I say.
I’m currently sitting at 18” with the barrel. Is it going to be worth the expense cutting off the extra 1.75” of the barrel? I mean, ounces equal pounds, but I don’t wanna get carried away.

I plan on getting ghost ring sights, and maybe putting a RDS on it. With it being a truck gun I worry that the RDS will be dead any time I wanna use it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m currently sitting at 18” with the barrel. Is it going to be worth the expense cutting off the extra 1.75” of the barrel? I mean, ounces equal pounds, but I don’t wanna get carried away.

I plan on getting ghost ring sights, and maybe putting a RDS on it. With it being a truck gun I worry that the RDS will be dead any time I wanna use it.
I think I'm with @swampratt on chopping it off. I was figuring you had a barrel around 20"-22". I don't think the juice would be worth that squeeze but that's really for you to determine.

As to the RDS, I have several Aimpoint PROs. They run well over 5 years on a battery and they are currently turned on in my safe and have been that way for years. I think the old "dead RDS" argument is really a non-issue if you run an Aimpoint or Trijicon site. They are long proven to truly be battle hardened. If you are running a crap NCStar something or other, well that's another story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom