Commuting to the act of blasphemy on a lever action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, according to Ballistics by the Inch, it appears going beyond 16" and the bullet is slowing down some? Am I reading this right?

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
Possibly. I know I gave up on getting my 9mm PCC down to the lower end of USPSA minor power factor with it's 16" barrel. But it's a different animal running mucho faster powder in my gamer loads than a .357 Magnum uses so I'm pretty skeptical. I've heard stories about how the powder is all burned in 3-5" of barrel on those loads. Extrapolating that out to factory .357 loads would probably end up at 14-16" maybe? So if the stories are true it would make some sense. But I'm not totally convinced either way.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well read up on the Ballistics by the Inch procedure and it's pretty interesting. Top chart is a barrel blank and he chronographs each round, then cuts an inch off, and repeats the process for all barrel lengths listed. Bottom chart is actual firearms and not just the barrel so you get some variances due to action type, cylinder gap, etc. But both charts seem to replicate the same data.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I installed a Marble's rear buckhorn Peep sight on my 45 Colt Rossi, With the flat of the Octagon barrel it is a very good sight picture
Shoots the 325gr WFN Doubletap +P very accurate and amazing energy on target. 150yd shots it hits harder than a 170gr 30-30

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I recently picked up a Marlin 1894 from a member on here, fulfilling a longtime dream of having a 357mag lever gun. It’s gonna be a dedicated brush/hog/truck gun. After messing around with it (haven’t had time to get to the range) I’ve found a few things: the forend is wide and awkward, the buttstock doesn’t give me enough cheek weld, and it’s heavier than expected. My hand is also too wide for the lever. It is a fine firearm otherwise.

so I’m gonna save the original wood, and turn it into a cowboy assault rifle. Bring the fire and stake, I’m ready. Here’s the questions:

cutting the barrel down to 16.25”, I understand it won’t affect the ballistics much, but is it gonna be worth it? Am I going to regret it?

Anyone on here have a carbon fiber bagging system?

Ive looked and searched, and have been unable to find a straight stock synthetic stock for the 1894. Anyone have one, or know of one?
Commuting or committing?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m currently sitting at 18” with the barrel. Is it going to be worth the expense cutting off the extra 1.75” of the barrel? I mean, ounces equal pounds, but I don’t wanna get carried away.

I plan on getting ghost ring sights, and maybe putting a RDS on it. With it being a truck gun I worry that the RDS will be dead any time I wanna use it.

I went with a small 4x32 scope on my truck gun just for this reason. No electronics, nothing that requires batteries.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, according to Ballistics by the Inch, it appears going beyond 16" and the bullet is slowing down some? Am I reading this right?

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
Your exactly correct. PCC rifles use powders and loads for pistol length barrels typically. Back in the day there were .44 mag pistol cartridges on the shelf and .44 mag rifle cartridges. Some idiots used the rifle loads in pistols, so that went away. Every PCCis now loaded for pistol.
Chamber pressures and powder choices determine the load with barrel length in the equation. If the powder is expended in 12” of a 16” barrel, friction slows it down as its traveling down the barrel with reducing pressure behind it.
The best load is the one that finishes the burn at the muzzle with max pressure and is the most accurate.
High muzzle flash equals unburnt powder so that load isn’t the most efficient load.
interesting to note, back in the day manufacturers built “goose” guns. They had insane barrel lengths that convinced buyers they could shoot geese in the stratosphere if they bought their shotguns.
The shotguns with shorter barrels probably had the charge leave the muzzle faster than the goose guns as the charge was burned at 18-20”.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Marlin .357 just to have fun around deer camp and out on the farm. But then I found myself being too careful with it not to scratch etc. So I bought a new Mlok hand guard, side quivers, etc. Now I don't scratch it on purpose but don't mind it not being a safe queen. I like the looks of 1/2 modern 1/2 western

s53GAUM.jpg

BXJqqRm.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom