Company owned property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I believe I know the answer to this but want you guys input.
The company I work for has an empty property that in the future will be turned into apartments.
Mean time I am tasked with attempting to keep it secured, which is a joke.
I have been in the building and can hear intruders running around avoiding me.
Here is the question, can I legally carry my pistol for protection in this property before I get my conceal carry?
The way I read the law I think I can but am I missing something here?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally if I had your job, there would be an AR strapped over my shoulder, and pistol on my hip, dammed the laws.
I'd work real hard on getting that CC though.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it depends on if your company wants you to carry to be able to protect yourself or their property. If the answer is 'no' to either question, then you could be terminated if discovered. Legally, you could be trespassed from the property and could be charged with a weapons charge if not licensed, but most LE wouldn't take it that far uneasiness given a reason.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have the property owner's permission to carry a firearm there?

Even if you do I can't remember a section of the SDA that allows you to carry unlicensed unless you are the property owner.

Last edited:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
open carry as an option, or conceal carry (on property only) or avoid problem and not put yourself in harm's way.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Protecting property (rather than self-defense or defense of another person) is a whole 'nuther can of worms.

If you're going to be an armed security guard (which this sounds like), I suggest getting more information along with the necessary training and qualifications.

Just my 2¢ ... ;)

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say if your company is requiring you to perform the duties of an armed guard, it is incumbent on them to provide you the proper professional training to perform that task. Assuming of course that is not what they initially hired you to do.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am kinda waiting on one of our resident Lawyers to chime in. My gut tells me as you stand right now, you may not carry a pistol in the execution of your duties legally. Even if you have no issues criminally the Civil ramifications could be significant if you are forced to use the weapon. Just my opinion though, good luck in your quest for the truth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom