Compensators, Yea, or Nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thoughts on compensators? I see a fad/trend especially on some Sig forums of adding a compensator to an extended frame. And I'm beginning to see them on more and more gun forums. I seem to remember a time when people more or less made fun of people that ran compensators if they weren't competing.
My initial thought when I see someone running a compensator with an extended mag on a compact pistol is, "Why didn't you just buy a fullsize"?

Anyway, I was just curious what the current thoughts are on these?
I run an Agency Arms single port on my G45. I can run it faster than my 34, and it fits in my 34 holsters. One of my buddies has the dual port on his 45, and it’s a bit different. If anything it almost feels like negative recoil.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used one on a pistol but there wasnt really much of a noticeable difference. I don’t think they’re necessary for an AR-15 chambered in 5.56, a good flash hider will serve you better than a compensator IMO. But I do run a compensator on my AR-10 because there is a noticeable difference in recoil reduction compared to the A2 birdcage. But it will also put a good stiff gas slap on the poor bastard standing beside me at the range so I run an Indian Creek Designs universal blast forwarding device that threads around my GoGunsUSA Supercomp XL which has 14 ports. Close to $170 in the muzzle of my AR10 but worth it to me when you compare it to the proprietary brake/blast shield combos from Surefire, Silencerco, and Lantac.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Steyr .30-06 mountain rifle. Without a brake, it was UNSHOOTABLE. I put a good brake on it and now it's a dream and it's under one MOA. YMMV.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your thinking of buying one, do RESEARCH. Not all are created equal. And there's a difference between a compensator and a flash hider.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, The biggest negative outweighs the biggest positive.
More parts, especially aftermarket add ons make me leery of potential malfs.
The positive is what exactly? Shooting faster splits by .01-2 sec? Eh.
No doubt my previous gun God life has spoiled my judgment.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, The biggest negative outweighs the biggest positive.
More parts, especially aftermarket add ons make me leery of potential malfs.
The positive is what exactly? Shooting faster splits by .01-2 sec? Eh.
No doubt my previous gun God life has spoiled my judgment.
I now have a suppressor for all types of weapons I own because of advice from my Doctor. After years of Range shooting, hunting and plinking using Ear plugs as well as ear muff protection my hearing has suffered. Personally I see them as a device that can help me retain what hearing I have left.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I now have a suppressor for all types of weapons I own because of advice from my Doctor. After years of Range shooting, hunting and plinking using Ear plugs as well as ear muff protection my hearing has suffered. Personally I see them as a device that can help me retain what hearing I have left.
This right here, all my compensators came with a $200 stamp and an unnecessary wait.
Glad the NRA helped push that through(not)

FJB and his enablers

Latest posts

Top Bottom