Computer Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoorayebay

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mainly e-mail and web surfing with a little small business record keeping and tax prep stuff.
I use a Mac for all of the above. I've had my laptop since 2009. I had an issue with the screen once. I took it up to the Mac store. They took it in the back and told me to come back in two hours. They had it fixed when I came back and didn't charge me a dime.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watch the Best Buy ads. Most laptops that they advertise on the weekends are loss leaders. They sell them at a loss, hoping to make their money back by selling you warranties and bags and accessories. If you just pick up a sale laptop and go, you're getting a good deal.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Asus u56e @ BestBuy

This is the newer version of what I have. Although I can't really find any difference in the specs. I got mine in November for $599 on sale. The battery life is consistently 6-7 hours, has more internal storage than you really need on a laptop (I use an external hard drive for anything I don't want to lose), and has 6gbs of memory. If the i5 doesn't last you 3-4 years of usable service, then the i7 probably wouldn't have either.

We've been running the Asus for a couple eyars now with now problems.
To be honest I didn't know squat about them prior to having 15 of them drop in my lab.

nguypaul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't recommend a MAC. Stick with a PC so you don't have to relearn basic functions. If you do not need portability whatsoever, then definitely get a desktop. Desktops are cheaper and easy to upgrade if you want to add RAM, CPU, hard drives, graphics card, etc.

Good websites are newegg.com and tigerdirect.com. They have a pretty good selection of pre-built desktops that will fit your needs.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From the research I have done, I would like an Intel i7 processor, 6-8GB of RAM, and 500GB-1TB of storage. I don't need all that, but I tend to keep a system for several years, so I buy overkill.

Looks like you've decided on the hard part already. If you're going to buy online, I FULLY recommend Newegg.com.

Last edited:

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asus u56e @ BestBuy

This is the newer version of what I have. Although I can't really find any difference in the specs. I got mine in November for $599 on sale. The battery life is consistently 6-7 hours, has more internal storage than you really need on a laptop (I use an external hard drive for anything I don't want to lose), and has 6gbs of memory. If the i5 doesn't last you 3-4 years of usable service, then the i7 probably wouldn't have either.

That's what I bought last year. Kept my 20 inch monitor from the desktop, and use both the laptop screen and monitor at the same time now. Works slick.....

Haven't had any problem with the Asus.....

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking at a desktop, Asus or Lenovo. STAY AWAY from HP and Dell at this point. Familiar names, but unless you're getting into their business lines you're buying garbage. At Best Buy we don't have any Asus i7s in store, but I believe we can get you a Lenovo with one for a decent price. And honestly, if you can get a computer with an i5 2500k you'll probably be fine.

Macs are great, but only if you wanna pay 3x more that the Asus or Lenovo.

If you want a laptop, stick with Toshiba. We always have good deals on them. Just keep in mind that if you go above or below a 15.6" screen you'll pay a premium for portability or "entertainment" value. 15.6"s are most popular and therefore least expensive. My money though, I'd buy a desktop and then buy an iPad if you're really looking for portability later on down the road. Call me at 4799739524 then 8 then extension 2170 any MWF or weekend afternoon and I can do some snooping for you, check inventory and sales and the like.

shelshy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using Macs only for a few years now (including iPods, iPhones and iPads). I use it for my small business and my wife also has one that she's had for 2 years. Hers runs just like it did when we got it. My new MacBook Pro is only a few weeks old and I'm loving it too.... My mom is even using my old MacBook...

Latest posts

Top Bottom