Computer nerds, some help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My computer has apparently crapped out on me. I have the Black screen of death, Dell T5810 workstation.

Here’s my specs, I figure it will come in handy:

Dell T5810
Intel Xeon e5-2697v3
224gb ddr4 ecc ram
Assorted newish hard drives
eVGA GTX1080SC graphics card
All drivers are up to date, running windows server 10.

No custom anything, no overclocking, nothing.

This is my general use home PC. I use it for virtualizing, homelab stuff, surfing the web, and some light gaming. Have not changed any settings, moved the tower, or changed out any hardware or software in several months. Inside is immaculately clean. Was online taking classes this morning. Get up to make breakfast, computer goes to sleep while I’m gone, as normal. Come back, go to wake up computer, get a black screen. Restart, I have input to the monitor (monitor is black, functions properly, and even says it’s receiving signal, but it’s just a black screen.
I’ve done all the standard troubleshooting, nothing fixes the issue.
Graphics card lights up, fans spin, everything seems normal except I’m getting nothing on the screen.
Swapped out HDMI cables, nothing.
Reseated graphics card, ram, power supply, nothing.
Swapped out graphics card with ancient Radeon R7, nothing.
Interrupted the computer boot sequence by shutting off multiple times to try and get the computer to boot into safe mode, nothing.
Pulled all the memory, post is working.
Replaced my cmos battery.
I tried pinging my workstation using another computer, get no response back. To me this means my NIC built into my motherboard isn’t working, windows isn’t initializing, or possibly my motherboard is bad, which after everything else, I feel is the case.

But, So I went to play some Xbox this morning, and I think my tv/monitor is what's broken. My Xbox and computer share the same monitor. None of the video works. My xbox doesn't give me anything other than a black screen, My old tower (that I know is good) doesn't give me anything other than a black screen when plugged into the tv, and even the live tv/streaming services don't work. But the tv menu and stuff works. I'm not too sure how the tv works internally, but I'm guessing it's broke?

What do you guys think? Why wouldn’t my computer respond to pings, if it’s still good?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old Dell 286 mb computer would do that and i would just have to reload Windows ME.
That thing was stupid fast because I only surfed on it and traded stocks and had NO games or music on it.

I really liked that one. Better than this Compaq 2GB my wife handed down to me. Running windows 7.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rona da biitch ain't it!
Thankfully it wasn’t half the butt kicking it was the first time around. But it still sucks. Makes it difficult cause the wife is also sick, and the puppy decided that he wanted to get sick too. 3 vet visits and almost a grand later he might be getting through the worst of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom