Computer Parts Have Come Down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m running a t5810 with a single e5-2697v3 with 224gb of ddr4 ecc and a gtx1080sc; I can’t imagine needing much more horsepower. Great machine, and I love how quiet mine is. But then again the only games I play (the rare occasions I play games) are 10-15+ years old. It works well for VMs and general piddling though. I picked mine up used for $400, added some HDs and the graphics card. I think, if based upon the boot HD power on time, only been run 600-700 days total.
Lol, geez, I could home lab the crap out of that thing. That’s quite a deal for 400. Where the heck did you find that? I’d have bought it at that price just for the ram alone.

My desktop is really old. I game off a laptop because my desktop is so old… It has some old quad core i7 in it and like an nvidia 580, but 32 gigs of ram. Which was a lot the 11-12 years ago I built it.

I forgot anything that has ddr5 has to have error correction, so that’s a plus. Tempted to run kvm, and windows as a host and see how well gaming works…

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, geez, I could home lab the crap out of that thing. That’s quite a deal for 400. Where the heck did you find that? I’d have bought it at that price just for the ram alone.

My desktop is really old. I game off a laptop because my desktop is so old… It has some old quad core i7 in it and like an nvidia 580, but 32 gigs of ram. Which was a lot the 11-12 years ago I built it.

I forgot anything that has ddr5 has to have error correction, so that’s a plus. Tempted to run kvm, and windows as a host and see how well gaming works…
Yeah that’s the plan here. I wanted to buy a server/whole rack mount setup for a homelab, realized that my desktop was on its last legs and absolutely terrible. So I bought a daily driver solid desktop that I could run VMs and whatever I wanted on, later on I’ll build a solid homelab.

I definitely bought it for the memory, everything else was just a bonus. I figure that it will work out really well, when I buy my server setup I’ll be able to split the memory between the two if the server is a little short, and have plenty left over for my day to day stuff. Snagged it up off Facebook marketplace, guy was using it for a VM host, got promoted and I guess decided he didn’t wanna learn at home anymore.

The desktop it replaced was an AMD fx 8 core (maybe 4 core?) with 16gb of ddr3 and a Radeon r7 250 card. It was honestly a real dog, especially when running my 42” 4k TV I use as a monitor. Don’t really know what to do with it now though, thinking of just keeping it to wire it into the future homelab as a physical machine to attack, as I’m not going to be able to get anything for it now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom