Computer Parts Have Come Down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I will update with the latest purchase, a 1000 watt power supply. My old one works fine, but only has 4 PCI Express power outputs and I need 5. Two for the motherboard, two for the graphics card and one for the sound card. I have the soundcard running from the pigtail on one of the graphics card lines, but it's not advisable to double up on those so hence the need for the new power supply. The new one has 8 PCI E outputs, so it should last a while.

Seasonic PRIME PX-1000, 1000W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode, 12 Year Warranty, Perfect Power Supply for Gaming and High-Performance Systems, SSR-1000PD. - Newegg.com

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have made a couple of other PC purchases since the last one, but the one that leads me to post today is a m.2 hard drive. The drive was fine, not my first rodeo on changing one of those but it wouldn't go past the bios splash screen when booting up. I truly hate the USB standard as it was one of my USB devices malfunctioning that was keeping me from booting. Yes it can do that. Give me Firewire or SCSI back!

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell me why I have a laptop that does have WiFi but no RJ45 jack? No CD/DVD drive? Nothing but USB ports? They aren't even offered.
Because you can get usb to whatever adaptors, and optical drives are really not needed anymore. If you need one, you can get an external usb. I’ve not had one for at least 10 years.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, spent the afternoon moving computers to new cases and changing out a CPU on my wife's system. My aching back. :cry11:
Ok, why moving to new cases? Is it the graphics card size, and quieter fans? I’ve done that once in 30 years of building machines. In my case my liquid cooler failed, I bough another and it didn’t fit my case. A new case was cheaper than another cooler.

At this point, I’m waiting on the next gen graphics cards and ands with ddr5, then I’m pulling the trigger on a new build.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, why moving to new cases? Is it the graphics card size, and quieter fans? I’ve done that once in 30 years of building machines. In my case my liquid cooler failed, I bough another and it didn’t fit my case. A new case was cheaper than another cooler.

At this point, I’m waiting on the next gen graphics cards and ands with ddr5, then I’m pulling the trigger on a new build.
Had originally bought a case for my PC to fit a new graphics card but ordered the compact one by mistake. I made it work, but it wasn't what I wanted. Today I corrected that and moved my compact case over to my wife's system at the same time. She was in an old server case, so it really needed to happen anyway. At the same time I put a new Ryzen 5600G processor in her machine, so she can run Win 11 when she wants to.

Edit: Won't have long to wait on the new processors, end of the month.
Edit 2: Did the liquid cooler thing at the same time as the move. Don't really need a 360 rad with a 5800X, but the next gen processors are looking toasty.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking a Silent Base 802 case for my next build or a fraction design r6. one of these days I’ll just build a custom case as my desk. Liked the idea of a desktop computer in my physical desktop.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking a Silent Base 802 case for my next build or a fraction design r6. one of these days I’ll just build a custom case as my desk. Liked the idea of a desktop computer in my physical desktop.
I'm in a Fractal Designs Torrent, with my wife having the Torrent compact. I believe my son has my old R5 or R6, they are on R7 now. The Torrent series is surprisingly quiet for having as much air flow as they do.

Edit: I thought I remembered Lian Li having these.

LIAN LI DK-05 FX Black Aluminum / Steel Desk Computer Case 2 x ATX PSU (Optional) Power Supply - Newegg.com

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, updated to the new AM5 R9 7900X processor and damn does this thing smoke. As with most new platforms it was a little buggy (only 2 of 16GB of RAM was showing up on one stick), but a beta Bios update fixed it. Glad I bought that liquid cooler. As an example, my Cinebench score went from 15,296 to 28,604. As I said, smokin (95 degree C running temps by design). :gun1:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what you really need? A totally free if you pick it up Cooler Master case. All you have to do is be in Tulsa sometime to get it ;) ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom