Computer Parts Have Come Down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know what you really need? A totally free if you pick it up Cooler Master case. All you have to do is be in Tulsa sometime to get it ;) ;)
Ha, I have a few cases sitting around too. I’ve found I like quiet, no rgb light crap everywhere, and will support a 360mm radiator.
Ok, updated to the new AM5 R9 7900X processor and damn does this thing smoke. As with most new platforms it was a little buggy (only 2 of 16GB of RAM was showing up on one stick), but a beta Bios update fixed it. Glad I bought that liquid cooler. As an example, my Cinebench score went from 15,296 to 28,604. As I said, smokin (95 degree C running temps by design). :gun1:
Nice, was looking at the 7950x yesterday, and noticed the same thing about the temps it’s designed to run at. What motherboard are you running?

I’m awaiting the new video cards being released and maybe the new gen of intel processors. I’m still most likely going with the 7950x instead, especially if any of the mb support ecc ram. My use case is gaming and playing with vms.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha, I have a few cases sitting around too. I’ve found I like quiet, no rgb light crap everywhere, and will support a 360mm radiator.

Nice, was looking at the 7950x yesterday, and noticed the same thing about the temps it’s designed to run at. What motherboard are you running?

I’m awaiting the new video cards being released and maybe the new gen of intel processors. I’m still most likely going with the 7950x instead, especially if any of the mb support ecc ram. My use case is gaming and playing with vms.
As much as I'm an amd fan I've been considering the 13900k in a few weeks. But I too am waiting on the new gen of Vidya cards before deciding. Reallllllly I want a nuc12 extreme except that then I'm limited to 12th gen intel chips at a time that 13th + Vidya are both updating and I'd be paying a hefty surcharge for the small form factor.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same, its ridiculous that I cant even buy a nice/high feature mouse/keyboard without it having to light up like a unicorn puked on my desk.

All this talk of the AMD 7900/13th gen intels and I'm over here stoked to have upgraded my ooooold (it was pretty much outdated when I bought it new) gaming tower. Now I run a 4 generation old graphics card and an old Xeon processor, and it blows the previous computer out of the water.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Run of the mill Asus.

Does the job and wasn't $500 like most of the other launch boards. On the video card front I decided that when the prices dropped two months ago, I would go for a 8800XT. I don't game enough to need a next generation one. I mostly bought the processor for speeding up video renders.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I'm an amd fan I've been considering the 13900k in a few weeks. But I too am waiting on the new gen of Vidya cards before deciding. Reallllllly I want a nuc12 extreme except that then I'm limited to 12th gen intel chips at a time that 13th + Vidya are both updating and I'd be paying a hefty surcharge for the small form factor.
Given the size of the 4900 cards, you might just need a extra large system to accommodate one. Have you seen the unboxing videos? :homer:

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same, its ridiculous that I cant even buy a nice/high feature mouse/keyboard without it having to light up like a unicorn puked on my desk.

All this talk of the AMD 7900/13th gen intels and I'm over here stoked to have upgraded my ooooold (it was pretty much outdated when I bought it new) gaming tower. Now I run a 4 generation old graphics card and an old Xeon processor, and it blows the previous computer out of the water.
I went ahead and hooked up the lights on my latest 360 AIO just because and found that the starlight "twinkle" pattern, is a nice compromise.

VSRJ9IQ.gif

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given the size of the 4900 cards, you might just need a extra large system to accommodate one. Have you seen the unboxing videos? :homer:
No, hadn't seen that Intel was allowing those yet. I basically kind of put things on hold since I saw the target launch dates. The other option for me on vidya is that I just grab a 3080 or 3090 when prices drop. Rumor is that Nvidia is sitting on a pretty sizeable pile of them so one would assume they'd drop. BUT if the rumors about double performance are actually really real then it might be worth it to pay for the upgrade.

To @El Pablo s point about old computers, my current build is older than dirty in computer years.
Precision T5500
Dual Xeon 5670's
72GB ECC DDR3 RAM
RX480 OC edition
512GB SSD/3TB RAID 0

It's been massively overspeced for years and runs like a top. However, it's loud, and has a high power draw and is just plain getting old, which is why I've reluctantly decided I need to bite the bullet and spend money for it's successor.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, hadn't seen that Intel was allowing those yet. I basically kind of put things on hold since I saw the target launch dates. The other option for me on vidya is that I just grab a 3080 or 3090 when prices drop. Rumor is that Nvidia is sitting on a pretty sizeable pile of them so one would assume they'd drop. BUT if the rumors about double performance are actually really real then it might be worth it to pay for the upgrade.

To @El Pablo s point about old computers, my current build is older than dirty in computer years.
Precision T5500
Dual Xeon 5670's
72GB ECC DDR3 RAM
RX480 OC edition
512GB SSD/3TB RAID 0

It's been massively overspeced for years and runs like a top. However, it's loud, and has a high power draw and is just plain getting old, which is why I've reluctantly decided I need to bite the bullet and spend money for it's successor.
I’m running a t5810 with a single e5-2697v3 with 224gb of ddr4 ecc and a gtx1080sc; I can’t imagine needing much more horsepower. Great machine, and I love how quiet mine is. But then again the only games I play (the rare occasions I play games) are 10-15+ years old. It works well for VMs and general piddling though. I picked mine up used for $400, added some HDs and the graphics card. I think, if based upon the boot HD power on time, only been run 600-700 days total.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m running a t5810 with a single e5-2697v3 with 224gb of ddr4 ecc and a gtx1080sc; I can’t imagine needing much more horsepower. Great machine, and I love how quiet mine is. But then again the only games I play (the rare occasions I play games) are 10-15+ years old. It works well for VMs and general piddling though. I picked mine up used for $400, added some HDs and the graphics card. I think, if based upon the boot HD power on time, only been run 600-700 days total.
600-700. Dang....I basically never turn mine off. It's my gaming box (I do basically the same thing it sounds like. Nothing gets in my cart until it's 75%+ off on Steam sale) but also my daily driver as well as hosting all my security camera work. So I figure mine is probably 4k or higher days running life.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My gaming is mostly old titles too, seems to be a theme here. Only exception is I bought Rogue Squadron when I bought my graphics card to try it out, had to break out my old joystick. Only other "newer" titles are Starcraft II that I will play through every now and then. Most of what I play are RTS games.

Latest posts

Top Bottom