Conceal 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are the best type holsters to conceal a full size 1911? I have always liked thumb break pancake holsters that ride high and tight but admit I have not seriously carried concealed in years. I have a Shield but can not get comfortable with striker fired pistols.

I have an offer for a full size 9mm 1911 if he is still interested and it seems like the best offer. All others are cash and the wife will want that. :P :P :P

I am a large guy so can carry it concealed easily with the right gear. Prefer not a shoulder holster because a good one is expensive and not good for summer carry.

1911.jpg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Good luck on trade. If you don’t like that 9mm 1911, I bet anyone would trade you something else you may like for it.

I haven’t carried a 1911 concealed so I can’t add much to this thread. I’ve been wanting to get a shoulder holster though to try it.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried one for several years in a Milt Sparks VersaMax 2 and got along great! Now after a long evolution, I'm doing everything I said I'd never do-carrying a Glock in 9mm in kydex. Still a soft spot in my heart for a full-size 1911 in good leather, though!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... and if you don’t like that 1911 and want to sell it, I want dibs.

If I do not like it, I would be wanting to trade for a smaller CC weapon with a hammer.

I carried a 1911 for a short while years ago but that was for work in a leather shoulder holster. Bianchi X15 if my memory is right. It was OK but I weighed a lot less back then and while it was easier to reach, it was harder to conceal. I looked like a had a brick under my suit coat.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've toted one concealed, either in a Sparks Summer Special II or the VM II. I'm into light, small 9mm pistols for concealed carry now; and sometimes I'll carry one of my PPK style pistolas.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried my full sized 1911 daily with a Crossbreed SuperTuck for several years but the leather would get wet sweating and curl against my leg if it dried while sitting after a while. I switched to an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 4-5 years back and really love it and still looks new carrying daily. I am a medium build guy, 6' 190 and it fits well at about 2:30 position to stand or sit with no discomfort without readjusting. Loose T-shirt works well just hanging over and I have worn a tucked in dress shirt with it on occasion. It is very comfortable and only about $45. If you switch firearms later you can trade in the shell for a minimal fee for your different firearm. I did change out the belt hooks that slowly opened up for J hooks and have been a lot happier with them. I also put Lock-Tite on the nylon screws after I got it adjusted where I wanted it.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are the best type holsters to conceal a full size 1911? I have always liked thumb break pancake holsters that ride high and tight but admit I have not seriously carried concealed in years. I have a Shield but can not get comfortable with striker fired pistols.

I have an offer for a full size 9mm 1911 if he is still interested and it seems like the best offer. All others are cash and the wife will want that. :P :P :P

I am a large guy so can carry it concealed easily with the right gear. Prefer not a shoulder holster because a good one is expensive and not good for summer carry.

View attachment 201192
I am a big guy also. I use Galco shoulder holster’s and a Hawaiian shirt in the summertime. I’ve always liked Hawaiian shirts and they do the job well. You don’t have to worry about printing. Because I’m big my pants always seem to be falling down and I have to use suspenders to keep them up lol. I’ve tried in the waist holster’s and they work well but sometimes aren’t comfortable. I’ve never tried wearing a holster outside on my belt

For reference I carry my Beretta 92 or my G23 in the shoulder holsters. I also have a small pancake holster for a Ruger SP 101. As much as I try liking it wheel guns just aren’t my thing but it is small and easy to carry.