Conceal carry I'm confused

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SB 40 makes changes to the sections I posted, but NOT until 1 Nov 2017.
The marked-up text is here: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2017-18 ENR/SB/SB40 ENR.PDF

SUBJECT: Handling of firearms

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA:

SECTION 1. AMENDATORY 21 O.S. 2011, Section 1289.16, as amended by Section 20, Chapter 259, O.S.L. 2012 (21 O.S. Supp. 2016, Section 1289.16), is amended to read as follows:

Section 1289.16

FELONY POINTING FIREARMS
(continued on link)

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2017-18 ENR/SB/SB40 ENR.PDF

SECTION 2. AMENDATORY 21 O.S. 2011, Section 1289.25, is amended to read as follows:

Section 1289.25

PHYSICAL OR DEADLY FORCE AGAINST INTRUDER

A. The Legislature hereby recognizes that the citizens of the State of Oklahoma have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes or places of business.
(continued on link)
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2017-18 ENR/SB/SB40 ENR.PDF

I. The provisions of this section and the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not be construed to require any person using a pistol weapon pursuant to the provisions of this section to be licensed in any manner.

J. A person pointing a weapon at a perpetrator in self-defense or in order to thwart, stop or deter a forcible felony or attempted forcible felony shall not be deemed guilty of committing a criminal act.

K. As used in this section:

1. "Defensive force" includes, but shall not be limited to, pointing a weapon at a perpetrator in self-defense or in order to thwart, stop or deter a forcible felony or attempted forcible felony; ENR. S. B. NO. 40 Page 5

2. "Dwelling" means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people;

2. 3. "Residence" means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest; and

3. 4. "Vehicle" means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.

SECTION 3. This act shall become effective November 1, 2017.

I think this, "
J. A person pointing a weapon at a perpetrator in self-defense or in order to thwart, stop or deter a forcible felony or attempted forcible felony shall not be deemed guilty of committing a criminal act.

K. As used in this section:

1. "Defensive force" includes, but shall not be limited to, pointing a weapon at a perpetrator in self-defense or in order to thwart, stop or deter a forcible felony or attempted forcible felony; ENR. S. B. NO. 40 Page 5

Thwart is the key word to pulling your gun in an attempt to stop a crime.
That being said, It had better be a capitol crime, and not some jackwagon running from walmart with a CD movie in their hand.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0414.PNG
IMG_0415.PNG

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is from the news app it was on the news last night. I know what I have read and been told that you can't use your weapon to protect property but this isn't the first time I have seen this on the news I'll be glad when the wording is changed and makes it more clear

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think he is. There are some serious implications to making a citizen's arrest from what I've been told, with liability and such. I don't know enough around that law to comment much further.

Latest posts

Top Bottom