Conceal Carry in bars and taverns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should conceal carry be allowed in bars and taverns?

• Yes

Votes: 125 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 95 43.2%

• Total voters

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am also a staunch 2A supporter and I voted 'yes' but reluctantly. If this state ever does allow guns in bars, and you decide to carry, for pete's good sake keep it well-concealed. The sight of your gun will act as a challenge to some drunks and they will provoke you just to get a reaction. I know. I worked security in a bar at closing time and I was openly armed. My experiences there were sometimes not good.
One more thing: this was alluded to earlier in the thread, but if you carry a gun, it would probably be better if you did not drink at all.
Being able to carry is far more important to me than being able to drink.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I own a sound company where we work in a bar most weekend nights for bands, I drink maybe a beer. We have about $30,000 of property that we load in, run sound a few hours and then load out each night. I personally would like to have the option to CC. Different bar every night so getting with the many different club owners for permission (in writing) would not be a preferred choice.

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you are making the conscious decision to enter a bar you also mad the decision to leave your gun at home.

You've over stated the case. A person would be wise to leave his gun at home if he plans to drink or become intoxicated. Just because I happen to pass through the doorway of a place that serves beer doesn't mean I should be stripped of a Constitutionally protected freedom.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my opinion on the matter. Should CCW holders be allowed in bars? YES! However, they should not be allowed to consume alcohol while carrying in the bar or tavern.

Some here are probably going to jump on my case for this. I don't care, but it comes down to discipline. Many here would throw a fit if they saw someone or watched a video on youtube of an amateur not practicing proper trigger discipline with their finger. Doesn't matter if you have 15yrs firearms experience or a seasoned competition pro, there is generally low tolerance for people who don't practice solid trigger discipline with their fingers or properly checking the chamber of a firearm to make sure it's clear. Most if not all ranges will kick you out of their facilities if you do not practice proper safety and trigger discipline.

Alcohol is the same thing. I don't care if you think you can drink me under the table or think you're fine after a few beers... heck even just after one beer. As a responsible person holding a firearm, it is important that you practice proper discipline and gun safety. NOT DRINKING WHILE CARRYING IS PART OF GUN SAFETY. Drinking while carrying is the same thing as putting your finger on the trigger on an uncleared firearm in my book and is grounds for getting kicked out of the bar. I would even go so far as to say that it should be a punishable offense. Yeah yeah, I know.... more laws to take away our freedoms... but this is one area that I believe laws are necessary to force change and discipline. If you want to carry, don't drink... otherwise, keep your firearms out of the bar.

People who say that drinking a beer and carrying a firearm is fine and doesn't hurt is like saying pulling the trigger on an uncleared firearm is ok, cause you were sure it was empty to begin with.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So plenty of people are not disciplined and or responsible enough to not drink and drive but because they are gun owners we can trust them to go to a bar and not drink? Again look no further than a TPD officer to prove that it can and will happen. How many times do you see "suspect went to his car and came back with a gun (sometimes a knife) and shot (or stabbed) the victim while at club where ever?" How many people have friends that say oh I will be the designated driver then look over a bit later and they have been drinking?

Right now in Oklahoma the only person legally allowed to have a gun in a bar is the owner. In most cases the possibility of more than one law abiding citizen with a gun is a good thing. Not in a bar.

One last thing to remember is that all bars are private property so even if CC was allowed in a bar the owner can prohibit CC.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what bars and taverns have to do it this. You can drink and get intoxicated in all sorts of restaurants. I know the 50% of sales business, but how can you really tell? For instance, I like this place in OKC called McNellies. They serve food and a whole lot of beers. Can I legally carry there? I have no idea. I know this is a bit off the subject.. so sorry if that's not cool.

B

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know what bars and taverns have to do it this. You can drink and get intoxicated in all sorts of restaurants. I know the 50% of sales business, but how can you really tell? For instance, I like this place in OKC called McNellies. They serve food and a whole lot of beers. Can I legally carry there? I have no idea. I know this is a bit off the subject.. so sorry if that's not cool.

B

That's an interesting point,many restaurants serve alcohol and you are allowed to carry in them.I don't go to bars at all but if I did,I would want to carry as I do almost everywhere else. Steve

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So plenty of people are not disciplined and or responsible enough to not drink and drive but because they are gun owners we can trust them to go to a bar and not drink? Again look no further than a TPD officer to prove that it can and will happen. How many times do you see "suspect went to his car and came back with a gun (sometimes a knife) and shot (or stabbed) the victim while at club where ever?" How many people have friends that say oh I will be the designated driver then look over a bit later and they have been drinking?

Right now in Oklahoma the only person legally allowed to have a gun in a bar is the owner. In most cases the possibility of more than one law abiding citizen with a gun is a good thing. Not in a bar.

One last thing to remember is that all bars are private property so even if CC was allowed in a bar the owner can prohibit CC.

We carry in bars in PA, open-carry is also legal, and I've never heard a horror story resulting from either of those situations in all of my life in Pennsylvania.

All of the hysteria is ridiculous. The "law" doesn't stop the right people from taking a gun into a bar. Those of us that are responsible and obey the laws don't take them now, and we wouldn't in PA if we had plans to drink. The people that don't give a flying @#$% about the law carry in bars now, they carry and get drunk in OK and other states, and they carry in other "gun free zones" like campuses while we do not.

Ask yourself this question: What is the solution to running a society despite the human condition?

If your answer is something that doesn't involve freedom, then you and I disagree, and you also disagree with most of the U.S. Constitution.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe we should have two discussions.

1) Should responsible citizens be allowed to carry in places that serve alcohol primarily?

2) Is it responsible to consume any alcohol when carrying, if so, how much?

My answer to 1 is absolutely yes.

On 2, I would suggest No. But I'm still thinking about it. I do however adamantly believe that the two are separate issues. I can drink at home, at a friends, outdoors, at a bar, or at a restaurant... did I miss any? It doesn't matter where I drink, if I do, I cannot responsibly do certain other things after.

Latest posts

Top Bottom