1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Concealed Carry Ballistics: Challenging the Stopping Power Conventional Wisdom

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by docohm, Mar 7, 2019.

1. O4L

O4L Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I never was a 1911 guy.

In the mid '80s I decided I wanted to get a .45 so a buddy of mine let me try out his Colt 1911. It wasn't very accurate for whatever reason and it turned off of the 1911 platform.

I bought a new S&W 645 and was very happy with it. I kind of wish I still had it even though I don't really want another caliber to keep up with.

I did add 38 Special / 357 Magnum to the mix recently because I came across a 640 J-frame that was too cheap to pass up and it carries so well.

2. Tanis143

Tanis143 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I like my .40's though I have nothing against 9mm. Haven't shot a .45 so I can't compare them.

3. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The pressure spike for .40 is higher than .45acp, I'll confirm that.
    I've probably got 10,000+ rounds in USPSA competition using the .40 at major loads. My carry guns are all .40. I've got a couple of 9mm as well in the same platform. I just don't see much of a difference especially when carrying +p loads in 9mm.
    The .40 is not a failed cartridge, it's just not meant for those with limp wrists and improper grip.

bigred1 and lasher like this.
  4. Ethan N

Ethan N Sharpshooter

After reading similar articles a few months back, evaluating terminal ballistics data for modern defensive rounds in various calibers, and seeing the FBI and other LEAs starting to transition to 9mm, I decided to make the switch from .40 to 9mm for EDC for me and my wife as soon as I can afford it. Wife doesn’t carry yet, but she hates firing my .40.

As someone whose EDC is a Glock 27, I can confirm .40 S&W in a sub-compact is not enjoyable to fire. I wouldn’t call it “brutal,” and it’s certainly manageable with training and practice, but a Glock 26 does feel significantly less snappy to me and follow up shots are easier to get on target. This wasn’t a big factor in my decision to switch to 9mm, but I have to say I’m looking forward to giving my wrists a bit of a break.

5. Defcon Shooter

Defcon Shooter Sharpshooter

If 40 was not a failed cartridge they would not be offering all these buy one get one free deals at the warehouses if you take dead 40 pistols now. Buy three 9mm's and we give you a free 40 SW pistol. It's headed the way of the 357 SIG. One of my most popular items at gun shows is 40SW to 9mm conversion barrels for glocks and Sigs. It was a ballistic solution to a problem that did not exist

6. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I used to pump 40’s into 12 yd targets w .12 splits. Y’all just pusses

dennishoddy and Snattlerake like this.
  7. lasher

lasher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    the problem certainly existed. the fbi switched to the 40 after they got there butts shot off down in florida, their 9mm was simply outgunned. then big city LEO got into 40, then 9-11 happened and 40 ammo sales in most locations were restricted to LEO only, now the fbi and local LEO are transitioning back into 9mm cause the fbi folks can't handle a 40 "recoil". most likely they'll get shot up again and try 50 cal next.

dennishoddy and Tanis143 like this.
  8. Tanis143

Tanis143 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yep, the Miami-Dade shootout is what sparked the creation of the .40 S&W round. The FBi went to the 10mm at first, but a lot of agents had problems getting back on target with that caliber. Winchester and S&W created the .40 to solve this and it was quickly adopted by the FBI and shortly after a lot of LEO's made the switch.

And yes, there are a few 9mm rounds that can come close to the ballistics of the .40, but they come with a hefty price tag. So while you pay $2-4 a round for that ammo, I pay less than $1 per round for .40 JHP.

Paul Harrell did a really good video on this and was one of the bigger influences in my decision to carry a .40

OKCHunter likes this.
  9. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I read where one of the reasons police departments are transitioning back to 9mm is because more women are working in law enforcement and they have a harder time qualifying with the 40 S&W round. Again this is something I read and cannot remember or link the article.

dennishoddy and Gunbuffer like this.
  10. OKCHunter

OKCHunter Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Interesting video - not the usual ballistic gel testing video.