Concerning Prices: What Did Ammo Prices Do After Obama? Is It Worse Now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did the fluctuation look like for those of you who paid better attention than me? Was sentiment as doom and gloom as current? Why is this time different?

I think the general consensus in the country is that this is without a doubt the worst it has been in recent history...concerning an anti gun political regime as well as overall civic unrest.

From what I’ve been told, the AWB of 1994 was waaaay under the radar for how extreme it was. Many firearms enthusiasts were caught off guard and it was passed before they really knew what was going on...so resistance from the populace was lacking I assume?

I think people today are overall more likely to (a) know of any upcoming firearms related legislation. And (b) speak out against it. Example being the public reaction over pistol brace reclassification just recently.

I see Biden’s administration desperately trying for a new AWB like laid out on his web page...and the people know it. But on the other hand I don’t really see anything major passing because people ain’t having that s**t these days.

My hope is ammo prices will go down after a year or so of failed legislation...then jump up in 2024 like usual.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the next several years people will have an ammo payment along with their car payment every month.H&H had a video out 2 weeks ago or so that said if they ordered a pallet of 9mm they would receive it May 2022.I won't spend more than 30 cents a round for 9mm and i only did that once when obama was in office.Right now we have an ad for 70 cents per round in the classifieds and he will probably get that.The range i go to use to have 15 to 20 shooters M-F. The last 3 weeks i usually get there in the afternoon and was told i was the 2nd or 3rd person they have seen all day.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it is. In the summer when they have 1200 dollar electric bills for running the A/C to keep the range cool i don't think they will be able to stay open.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly can’t remember what the guns and ammo market was like during Obama administration. I can’t imagine it being worse than this. One of the big differences is there were something like 8 million new gun owners in the US. If they want just two boxes of 9mm that’s 16 million boxes or 800 million rounds of 9mm just to fill that new demand. If they want three boxes the number is over one billion rounds. Adding this new demand to normal consumption would indicate ammo is going to be hard to find for long time.

This shortage is going to have a huge impact on the entire industry. Gun ranges will close (nobody shooting), gun sales will drop (why buy a gun when there is no ammo) and many other businesses that rely on firearms sales or repairs will have to restructure quickly to stay in business.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The situation was very similar. I was mostly interested in reloading supplies. They were gone for two years, and were selling at stupid prices at gun shows and on gunbroker, the same as now. To the best of my memory, ammo was the same. Don't expect prices to go down anytime soon. In 2016, manufacturers built up a huge surplus on the assumption that Hillary would win. When Trump won, demand tanked and the market was glutted. That's the reason prices dropped so significantly. That won't happen again.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...In 2016, manufacturers built up a huge surplus on the assumption that Hillary would win. When Trump won, demand tanked and the market was glutted. That's the reason prices dropped so significantly. That won't happen again.
Agreed.
Nobody wants to accept that ammo prices were out of whack for the last few years, they were actually WAY LOW because there was a huge amount of inventory out there.
Shooters want low prices anyway and they certainly got used to them after the 2017 inauguration.
The current prices for ammo are WOWIE ZOWIE high to me but they seem especially bad because of where they had been for the last 4 years.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1859.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom