Concerning Prices: What Did Ammo Prices Do After Obama? Is It Worse Now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy had a table at Wanenmacher the next aisle over from a large ammo vendor when Obama first won in 2008. The election was just a few days prior to the show, and my buddy and I watched in amazement that Saturday morning as the crowds mobbed the ammo vendor, standing four deep, to get what they could. People throwing down money and wheeling off cases of ammo on furniture dollies. By noon, the vendor was sold out of all but a few esoteric calibers.

Plain Jane stripped AR lowers were priced at $75 and up, and people were buying them all. It was crazy.

ragsflh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
okc gun show last weekend.75.00 box 30-30 sells.75.00 brick 22.was talking to a vendor,he says he was going to have primers on sunday,about got run over from people trying to talk to man saying they take all he get.man said 1000 per person and they would have to be there sunday.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ammo availability was nothing like this in the obama years. As previously stated, there is an astronomical amount of new gun owners in the last year. Pair that with major supply chain issues for the manufacturers and top it off with a dementia ridden meat puppet who vows to take down every gun manufacturer along with the NRA, and you have a recipe for disaster.
The Obama years got tough for a few here and there, but this is something different.
I honestly see this getting far worse for the rest of this year before it gets better.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m afraid the game will change as they roll out EPA rules for lead now that our last US plant shutdown.
I see high dollar non-toxic in our future. I see them pulling sinkers as well.

time will tell.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prices went up in 09. I recall shortly after Obummer was elected his AG Holder started talking about a new AWB. Holy @#$% aAR stuff went nuts overnight. Ammo prices also went up drastically compared to what they were. I agree though that now its worse for simple fact that Rona shut down lots of plants last year.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe things are crazier now (higher prices and less availability) in part because of electronic communication.
Way more people today are bombarded with 24 hour screaming "news" and it's never good news.
Also social media and websites including this one go through phases where about 80 percent of all new posts are OMG! gloom and doom about something. (I'm including the hair raising prices in the Classifieds here as part of the ongoing gloom and doom too, but calm down everybody, I'm not being judgmental.)
Every where you turn nowadays there's constantly something IN YOUR FACE that's gonna get your blood pressure up and a person has to INTENTIONALLY turn away to avoid it. And there's social pressure that you just have to watch (like "must see TV" -- B.S.!).
I hope we don't see the day like George Orwell's 1984 where the government has mandatory propaganda spewing "telescreens" that cannot be turned off and that spy on you 24 hrs a day. (There is that Alexa crap but it's not mandatory for you to have one. Yet.)

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obama scare gun prices were more than this, but not ammo. Stripped lowers and AR's brought more money anyways. I remember some cat offering $900 for a Colt lower, and crappy stripped lowers bringing hundreds each. Availability is why.

Latest posts

Top Bottom