Concrete contractor estimate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to get a sidewalk laid at my house. It currently has a stone walkway that we want to replace with a concrete sidewalk. We will be removing the stone ourselves. It is 50 feet long measuring from the middle and will be 3 feet wide. I had a local company come out and give me an estimate and it was $2200. Seemed really high to me. My dad had far more work done a few years ago. He had two patios poured on each side of his existing one. They measure approximately 10x8. And are about 7-8 inches thick. Maybe prices have went up a lot. Is this a good price or is it out of hand? Yalls input would be greatly appreciated.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a sidewalk laid a couple years back and I paid almost as much for it as I did a patio. Sidewalk has a lot of curves so it took longer in labor to form than the square patio did.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really depends on level of work they are putting into it. If they are just pouring concrete in a trench and smoothing it, then that over priced. If they are doing proper preparation, framing the sidewalk and building up the sidewalk bed with appropriates liners and such, then it seems more realistic. Also realize that a 10x8 patio is an easier/faster job than 50 ft of sidewalk. Also 50x3 is almost double the concrete vs 10x8 (thickness being the same of course.)

The short answer is - it depends. Look at the level of work you are being quoted. And ask questions.
And if the quote doesn't give an idea of the level of work. the work is probably going to be of the same level of detail as the quote...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been some 10 years, but I had a path on the ground dug up and paved with a concrete sidewalk. It was 30 feet long by 3 feet wide, and the company that did it prepared the ground really well with forms, crushed stone (or small gravel? Can’t recall), sand, etc. There was one slight bend in the sidewalk, but otherwise it was straight and the ground was level and relatively free of rocks and roots. They did a beautiful job for $1100.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$3-5 a foot is about normal for small pours, you usually pay for what you get, I just had a 400sf patio poured for $4.50 a foot, they also installed drainage for me in the patio and hauled off the extra dirt.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
44D356F9-B35F-404E-BDC0-54DB4C9B7D2B.jpeg

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They said they would use rebar and something else. So it wasn’t just pouring and smoothing. I appreciate the response. Now I don’t feel it’s too much.

Make sure they prep the concrete bed properly. Rebar or not, an improperly prepared bed will lead to lots of major cracks...

This is a pretty basic guide, but should give some idea of what to look for in workmanship.
https://www.everything-about-concrete.com/concrete-slab.html

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to get a sidewalk laid at my house. It currently has a stone walkway that we want to replace with a concrete sidewalk. We will be removing the stone ourselves. It is 50 feet long measuring from the middle and will be 3 feet wide. I had a local company come out and give me an estimate and it was $2200. Seemed really high to me. My dad had far more work done a few years ago. He had two patios poured on each side of his existing one. They measure approximately 10x8. And are about 7-8 inches thick. Maybe prices have went up a lot. Is this a good price or is it out of hand? Yalls input would be greatly appreciated.
Like JD said, $3 a square foot is roughly the going rate which is about $2500. Sounds like a fair price at $2200.

Latest posts

Top Bottom