Confused on buying deer tag...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I have a hunting license.

I am taking my son hunting, he is 11, needs no license. He has done his online hunter's safety course.

I am not planning on carrying a rifle, don't plan on shooting anything, but I will carry my license. I want to buy a license ("tag") for 1 antlered and 1 antlerless deer for this weekend, for my son. To cover the bases.

I downloaded the mobile check-in app. I can't see how to actually purchase any licenses on there.

Online, I can log in under my own login and can put licenses in my cart to do this, however... I assume they will be issued in my name, right? So... since my son doesn't require a specific hunting license, but does require a specific deer license ("tag") for each deer harvested, how do I do this so it is issued in his name? He doesn't have a login because he didn't purchase a license. Do the individual deer harvest licenses ("tags") not have a name attached? Can I buy them under my own name and then check the deer in with my mobile phone in the woods and attribute it to him? Or does the tag need to be ISSUED in his name for him to use it?

I'm new to all this, you see... lol.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am making him an account on ODW.... had to have his SSN, which I don't know, my wife couldn't remember and isn't in ANY of our paperwork in the office or the safe. Have his passport, but it requires SSN for a minor, passport or not.

So I had to go to the bank and get into the safe deposit box (does anyone else keep a handgun and box of ammo in theirs? lol) and snap a pic of his SS card.

Jeez what a PITA to teach kids to do things the "right way". lol

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am making him an account on ODW.... had to have his SSN, which I don't know, my wife couldn't remember and isn't in ANY of our paperwork in the office or the safe. Have his passport, but it requires SSN for a minor, passport or not.

So I had to go to the bank and get into the safe deposit box (does anyone else keep a handgun and box of ammo in theirs? lol) and snap a pic of his SS card.

Jeez what a PITA to teach kids to do things the "right way". lol
It is dumb they need your SSN, especially for kids... What a convoluted system... If you are buying the tags and doing it right do they really need your SSN?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Now that he's in the odwc system, he'll just need his hunter safety card, and either your or your wife's DL to prove OK resident. Good luck!!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh well. Got it done. At least kid tags are half-price! There's a little good news today, anyways. Maybe I'll be able to report a successful harvest in a few hours? lol

My daughter hasn't had hunter's ed yet, and I ended up calling the game warden about her "apprentice" license. The process sounded simple enough, but I wanted to make dang sure there wasn't any fine print that I overlooked.

It also cost the same as my out of state license.

I'll be watching later tonight for an update on the hunt. Good luck to y'all!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is dumb they need your SSN, especially for kids... What a convoluted system... If you are buying the tags and doing it right do they really need your SSN?

Reason is because a family member like a grandparent, etc. would attempt to get their grandchild that lives out of state a resident tag, or a lifetime license when they aren't actually citizens of Okla.
They need a method to determine residency.

Latest posts

Top Bottom