Confused on buying deer tag...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My daughter hasn't had hunter's ed yet, and I ended up calling the game warden about her "apprentice" license. The process sounded simple enough, but I wanted to make dang sure there wasn't any fine print that I overlooked.

It also cost the same as my out of state license.

I'll be watching later tonight for an update on the hunt. Good luck to y'all!!!
retrieverman do they give you a break on non resident youth tag for youth season here in Oklahoma

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reason is because a family member like a grandparent, etc. would attempt to get their grandchild that lives out of state a resident tag, or a lifetime license when they aren't actually citizens of Okla.
They need a method to determine residency.
I guess I would like to think everyone tells the truth on gov forms. I would assume they could just go off the name but if the youngster doesnt have a state ID then how would they.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
retrieverman do they give you a break on non resident youth tag for youth season here in Oklahoma

img.photobucket.com_albums_v712_retrieverman_icons_coffee_spray.gif

Ummm.....NO.......

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that he's in the odwc system, he'll just need his hunter safety card, and either your or your wife's DL to prove OK resident. Good luck!!

Didn't need any of that. Once I got his SSN, I put that in, and his Hunter's Ed number, and got his tags.

Hunting went well... saw plenty of deer, had some shots, passed on some shots... took 4 shots at a decent young buck with 4-pointers.

ALL MISFIRES.

:pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were handloads... 150gr Remington Core-Lokt 7.62 soft-points with 17.5 grains of IMR4227. Went to the range Fri, shot some of those to get it zeroed(ish) at 50. Of the dozen or so I shot, 3 didn't fire, one had what appeared to be a VERY light strike on it. When I rechambered all 3, they all fired fine. Shot the factory subs after, probably 20 of them, no hiccups, but they were noticeably lower on the target at 50 yards (not surprising).

Our blind has a mineral lick and lots of corn in front, clear sight path at 37 yards.

Last night, we had a couple does lined up within 10 minutes of getting in the blind, passed on a marginal 80-90% shot, saw a few others walking out. Saw a big buck walking in eating our corn, but no way to get a shot at him without walking up on him.

This morning, nothing would fire. Had some trouble chambering, cycled the action a few times, seemed a little gummy, maybe? It was 24F. I am wondering... I haven't much experience with my suppressor, but maybe the excess blowback and "dirtiness" everyone talks about gummed things up for me? Got rounds seated well, but no fire, only *click*. Damn 4-pointer stood there looking at us and eating our corn while we cycled the mag in and out, cycled the bolt, dropped it (loudly), still, nothing would fire. Finally, he got a little nervous and wandered leisurely away. He came back around later 2 more times, we had 4 bang-on shots broadside at him at less than 40 yards and the damn primers wouldn't go off. Only one had a very light strike, the others looked like they were never touched. <sigh>

I tried a 5th shot on a tree when we walked out an hour later and same *click*. Oh well.

Live and learn... take a backup weapon, don't take a weapon that hasn't been fully debugged, and we still had a great time. The Boy learned a lot, we saw a bunch of deer, got to watch some of their behaviors and overall it was great, but cold as a welldigger's ass.

Got some troubleshooting to do this week, but we should be able to go back out at least once next weekend.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well DH is right lol

This would be great time to do some testing by changing one variable at a time.
I might start by looking into primer seating protocol. Are you seating them too deep?

If you are sure there is no issue with primer seating, I would test different primer makes. What primers did you use? also what rifle?
I would make the exact same loads as described above but using different primer makes. There are harder and softer ones out there so maybe that rifle just does not like that particular primer.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, lots of variables. We will get it worked out... I was sorely tempted to load up some of the subsonic factory rounds I brought, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Hell, at that distance, it probably would have been fine as a killing round, but I didn't have it sighted in for those. Ethics won out in the end...

Latest posts

Top Bottom