Considering a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8 miles isn’t far. Are you dead set on a motorcycle? A scooter would work and be fairly comfortable (Silverwing, Burgman) but they get hate. I have a Triumph Bonneville and love it. Came from a Ninja 650 which had a more upright riding position than a sport bike. Honda also brought back the Supercub with a 125cc engine. Will get up to 55mph and pretty fun (wife has one).

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
8 miles isn’t far. Are you dead set on a motorcycle? A scooter would work and be fairly comfortable (Silverwing, Burgman) but they get hate. I have a Triumph Bonneville and love it. Came from a Ninja 650 which had a more upright riding position than a sport bike. Honda also brought back the Supercub with a 125cc engine. Will get up to 55mph and pretty fun (wife has one).
they brought back the supercub because of the anime!!

>.....you can go anywhere......

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
>wants motorcycle to save gas
>has 8 mile commute, iirc all city with no highway
>gets a 1200cc cruiser

hey man to each his own; maybe he'll find out when he starts riding and that battery won't stay charged :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sporster has a lowish seat height and not too heavy so would not make a bad first bike for a grown man.

My first street bike was a KZ400 and a lady hit me on it, tore all the toes off my right foot
and when I almost healed up I bought a bigger faster better stopping bike a 1984 V45 Magna I was 17.

I wanted something that could get out of the way quicker and stop quicker.

That sporster will do it.

My right foot was still in a splint and I had a couple buddies hold the V45 up so I could get on
and take it for a spin down the road and back.

My buddies got ahold of the bike when I returned so I could get off of it and hop around on 1 leg.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a couple of Sportsters in the mid-80's, and I never really considered myself a serious biker, so yeah I'd say they're a decent choice for a first bike.

FWIW, the hard-core biker dudes consider the Sportsters to be only slightly better than the rice burners. They don't really respect you, they're more like, "Yeah, that's cute now get back on the porch with the little dawgs." :rollingla

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they brought back the supercub because of the anime!!

>.....you can go anywhere......
And my wife started but never finished the anime. She used to have a Honda Metropolitan but it barely kept up with traffic on side streets in Norman. Supercub is neat with the Grom engine but clutchless shifting (well, clutch is built into the shifter).

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
>wants motorcycle to save gas
>has 8 mile commute, iirc all city with no highway
>gets a 1200cc cruiser

hey man to each his own; maybe he'll find out when he starts riding and that battery won't stay charged :)
Yessir you are correct. The gas item was more a bonus and helped justify the purchase in my wife's mind. Yes I'll use it to get to/from work but that's not the only use it will see.

Last edited:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yessir you are correct. The gas item was more a bonus and helped justify the purchase in my wife's mind. Yes I'll use it too grey to/from work but that's not the only use it will see.

Well played.........well played!!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lag you were worried about being visible I was gonna suggest getting a Ducati 1098r or whatever the current model is. Between the beautiful sound and the good looks, they’re extremely visible to anyone on the road. Your commute time could be cut down quite a bit too.

But, I don’t know anything about bikes. I’m kinda in the same boat, I wouldnt mind having a bike to putt around on occasionally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom