Considering a suppressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an excellent time shooting mine, .22LR Micro Osprey; I have 2 more suppressors awaiting ATF approval, A 9MM suppressor for my SP-5 and another .22LR ( Dead Air).

My Micro Osprey has an adapter, you have to add to your host gun, I switch between my Ruger Precision Rimfire, my HK MP5 .22LR, Taurus TX22 Competition; Beretta 92 FSR .22LR and Sig P322.

I have threaded barrels for my Glock 44, Walther PPQ the thread adapter fits the P22 and I believe my PPKs, Ruger Mark III, and an Sig 522 -- Looking at a threaded barrel for my CZ Shadow 2, .22LR Conversion Kit.

I use regular .22lr ammunition; Winchester; Federal Auto-Match; CCI; Remington Golden Bullet.

Sometimes I use CCI Quiets in my Ruger Precision, You hear the firing pin and then the bullet hitting the target.

SCI in Bixby has .22LR CCI Suppressor ammo

I really enjoy shooting .22LR, the suppressor adds another level of enjoyment !!!!!!

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Kriss Vector SDP-SB in .22LR Pistol (no longer offered )has a threaded barrel -- This should be really fun !!!!!

https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/kriss-vector-22-sdp-sb/
Kriss Vecktor -- 2020-08-29.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, looking for some honest answers. Is it worth the wait? Expense?
I didn’t read any of the responses to the thread yet.
My story; I fought the idea that I had to pay the gubberment to buy some inantimate object that couldn’t kill or harm anyone unless it was used as a bludgeon for many years.
Finally relented and bit the bullet. The wait was senseless for an inanimate object but suffered through the 6 month wait, finally taking it to the range.
It’s Danged sure not Hollywood silent but it will not harm my hearing any more like a firearm that is unsuppressed.
I love it and have probably harmed the resale value of some higher end firearms that have been threaded to accept it but I don’t sell guns so my heirs can deal with that.
If your on the fence, I’d say get off, get with a good dealer to recommend what might work for you, then visit two more dealers for their suggestions and decide from there along with input from OSA who are actual owners.
Some dealers will try to upsell you which is why I recommend going to several.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For what purpose?

Lots of comments ITT talking about hunting animals, juice may not be worth the squeeze there unless you're hunting small game or pigs.

Do not go to a fight against humans without a suppressor.

An acceptable quality can be had for the price of a Glock, and the SilencerShop kiosks are all over the place now which makes the paperwork part significantly easier.

I guess I don't understand why buy them then? I guess you friends don't need to be as quiet as possible.
Signature reduction, recoil control, sound attenuation at the muzzle and the ear?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I’ve read the replies, those that don’t hear the shot when shooting at a deer or LEO in a gunfight are experiencing a symptom called auditory exclusion.
Stress levels turn the brain part of hearing off but hearing damage continues with every shot.
Your born with millions more nerve endings in your ears than one should ever require but loud noises kill those endings. Eventually, one reaches the level of dead nerves where hearing loss occurs. The more nerves you kill from that point, the worse your hearing becomes until requiring hearing aids or total deafness occurs.
Suppressors can bring noise levels with any supersonic round down to almost muff free levels but I still wear muffs at the range if doing sustained shooting.
Folks need to pay attention to what level of noise attenuation ear plugs and muffs provide. Some will not block out enough noise to prevent hearing ddd as mage even if worn.
There is a huge class action lawsuit ongoing against the Army because they purchased hearing protection from the lowest bidder that did not protect soldiers hearing as an example.
I still recommend buying a suppressor that can be used across platforms.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple and another I'm waiting on to get approved.

I've used subsonic 5.56 ammo with one of them and it's really quite but won't cycle for the next shot without pulling the charging handle. I had thought about trying to fine tune rifle to try and get it to cycle but never dug too deep into it. So I've since started using regular ammo.

Depending on the rifle I use I'll either grab the suppressor or ear plugs . . .

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Yes! Get at least one in your lifetime. I bought a Silencerco Spectre II from 338Shooter (Dustin Gauthier) in 2016. The stars must have been in alignment when I applied as my approved application only took 4 months with a trust. I'm also told that if you sell your suppressor that stamp collectors will pay up to $50 for an actual treasury tax stamp.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
A quick story, I took my oldest out to Fouled Bore and there was a gentleman shooting a brand new 338 with a Sig QD brake that shook the whole damn platform. It was extremely uncomfortable shooting next to him, but it is so infrequent that I can get down there I tried to ignore it the best I could. I hadn't realized the muzzle device he had at first but eventually realized what it was, and I had a Sig suppressor with me that I could mount to his brake. I asked him if he wanted to try it out and it was incredible the difference it made. We were able to shoot next to him for the next couple hours without any discomfort. I was very grateful I had brought that can with us that day.
This!! It's actually considered rude to shoot in Europe without one. No-one wants to hear your muzzle blast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom