Considering getting my son a GSD for his first dog... advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. All of Susanne's dogs are x-rayed and rated. Shadow did have anal fistulas (which have a genetic component in GSDs) and Nero has bad elbows but she was upfront about those things when I was there, and I didn't pay anything for Shadow or Nero. She was only interested in finding them a good home to go to to live out their lives.

Jackie had a bad back (hurt herself in a schutzhund competition in Germany) and was "medically retired" from competition and breeding because of that. She was an absolute joy. She didn't care for kids much and the old man was afraid to even touch me on the shoulder when she was around for the first couple of years. Lol She literally saved my life. Nero will hide behind me when anyone so much as raises their voice. Haha! ALL the dogs I've gotten from her have been well-behaved hair-shedding machines!

Here's Jackie back in her working days.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=394706-jackie-von-der-kinzigau

thanks for the link, really interesting

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend getting a cat.
ff05590d2e811957b2849698bd58110b.jpg
1be937e1492e2bdda23a3d39b5808dfd.jpg
f64f2770717b2f83c45eb56f4d0d1708.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lab was our 2nd option. lol
When I was a kid, my family started a couple strange pet traditions, all our pets names would start with the letter “b” and we’d never get the same breed twice. We’ve had a lab, beagle, schnauzer, chihuahua, golden, standard poodle, a spaniel mutt, and I’ve had a pitbull terrier, and just now a gsd pup. Honestly, the poodle was the smartest (that’s why they’re in circuses) but my pitbull
Has been the best dog in the world. I was skeptical when I got him, but I literally can trust him with anyone/anywhere including small animals and children. He completely changed my view of the breed. The stereotype is that they’re mean natured but my opinion is that their main drive is to go all out to please their master. I say that as a vet tech.

The only dog I’ll never own is a cocker spaniel btw

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lab was our 2nd option. lol

We had lots of labs growing up because daddy was a hunter. His "once in a lifetime dog" was a lab named Margo. He couldn't spank any of us kids if she was in the house. Or where ever. She wouldn't growl at him but she would get in between us and him and she would NOT get out of the way for love nor money. Lol I heard him tell my uncle one time if he hadn't spent so much time and money on her, and if she hadn't been his best hunter, he'd have strangled her with his bare hands.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my family started a couple strange pet traditions, all our pets names would start with the letter “b” and we’d never get the same breed twice. We’ve had a lab, beagle, schnauzer, chihuahua, golden, standard poodle, a spaniel mutt, and I’ve had a pitbull terrier, and just now a gsd pup. Honestly, the poodle was the smartest (that’s why they’re in circuses) but my pitbull
Has been the best dog in the world. I was skeptical when I got him, but I literally can trust him with anyone/anywhere including small animals and children. He completely changed my view of the breed. The stereotype is that they’re mean natured but my opinion is that their main drive is to go all out to please their master. I say that as a vet tech.

The only dog I’ll never own is a cocker spaniel btw

That's a cool story. We had all different kinds of dogs, too, but usually a dozen of whatever someone fancied at the time. And that "no never uh-huh" dog for me is a Yorkie.

Latest posts

Top Bottom