Considering getting my son a GSD for his first dog... advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest single mistake made in getting any dog, but which can be critical with large, potentially dangerous (but actually wonderful) breeds like the GSD, is selecting based upon looks and not temper/dominance. Also, I will second the note above that if your son isn't committed to regular daily exercise and interaction - don't get a GSD, it will end in frustration for all. These are pack oriented working dogs not lap dogs (in general) not to be left alone all day or kenneled - IMHO - without very bad results.

My 2 cents.

BTW - I love this breed and with good selection, considering how your son can and will live, they can make the most loyal and faithful of pets/companions (I will not say "fur baby") because the human is not a parent he/she is the owner and master...if not then the dog will be.
Haven't read the book but agree this is great advice

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My second pup as a kid was a German Shepard Husky mix. That puppy had humongous paws...should have read that sign, but I was about 12 or 13 at the time. He was the smartest dog I've ever owned. I only ever had to show him stuff once. Took naturally to the lead. Was friendly with people when I was around but would give people a warning growl if they came around him when I was not. He became the biggest dog I've ever had. He knocked down the back door because he wanted inside once...once, because my parents made me give him away after that.
:crying:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that we want a dog, especially with living in an RV and not having a back yard to let them run, but if we were to get another, I'd like a big dog for a change. We've met a couple of different families that had full sized Dobermans that were absolute jewels. I think I'd like to have one of those.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not that we want a dog, especially with living in an RV and not having a back yard to let them run, but if we were to get another, I'd like a big dog for a change. We've met a couple of different families that had full sized Dobermans that were absolute jewels. I think I'd like to have one of those.

we have several clients that have the full size Dobies, of the 8 that are active clients there is one that we cant get near. It's actually a really sad situation, it was grandad's last dog before he died and now it's just grandma, daughter and grandson that has autism. The father was a marine and was the only one that could control it, and now the family just lives in fear of the dog.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we have several clients that have the full size Dobies, of the 8 that are active clients there is one that we cant get near. It's actually a really sad situation, it was grandad's last dog before he died and now it's just grandma, daughter and grandson that has autism. The father was a marine and was the only one that could control it, and now the family just lives in fear of the dog.

Sad deal but it might be best to send that dog back to grandpa before someone gets hurt. Likewise I will not have a dog that's aggressive with children.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive seen a few like that also. Most of those situations are owner induced even when they don't think or know so.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a cool story. We had all different kinds of dogs, too, but usually a dozen of whatever someone fancied at the time. And that "no never uh-huh" dog for me is a Yorkie.
A Chow is my "never own" breed. I can't stand them. You can look them in the eyes and see the back of their skull.

Latest posts

Top Bottom