Constitutional Carry (SB 1212) on the OK House floor 4/23

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Near as I can tell, here's the "meat" of the amendment:

Section 1272.
UNLAWFUL CARRY
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, (etc. etc.) ... except this section shall not prohibit:
6. The carrying of a firearm, concealed or unconcealed, loaded or unloaded, by a person who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age or older, or eighteen (18) years of age but not yet twenty-one (21) years of age and the person is a member
or veteran of the United States Armed Forces, the Reserves or National Guard or was discharged under honorable conditions from the United States Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard, and who is otherwise not disqualified from the possession or purchase of a firearm under state or federal law and is not carrying the firearm in furtherance of a crime.

It still prohibits carry in certain places, and if you've been convicted of certain crimes.

I think this one will create some problems. If a veteran is discharged without benefits or disability, they have no way of proving their service unless they carry a copy of their DD-214 with them. Discharges before retirement or without disability don’t get ID cards.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this one will create some problems. If a veteran is discharged without benefits or disability, they have no way of proving their service unless they carry a copy of their DD-214 with them. Discharges before retirement or without disability don’t get ID cards.

True that it may cause some problems, but I’m confident they will be few and far between, as the standard service contract is four years. Even if you joined at 17 you’d still be 21 before getting a fully honorable discharge.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

That's only if you're under 21. How many <3 yr commitments are there for enlistees?

Another interesting change is that they made it so an officer must carry an issued, service handgun. Not just an approved handgun.

...is hereby authorized to carry a service weapon approved and issued by the employing agency anywhere in, personal rifle or shotgun throughout the State of Oklahoma, both while on active duty and during periods when the officer is not on active duty...

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True that it may cause some problems, but I’m confident they will be few and far between, as the standard service contract is four years. Even if you joined at 17 you’d still be 21 before getting a fully honorable discharge.
Unless you were medically discharged/retired due to a severe/chronic illness or develop a disability (perhaps due to an accident.) My younger brother was medically retired after battling Hodgkin's Disease shortly after joining the Navy. I don't remember if he was under 21 at the time, but in a similar circumstance a service member could be honorably discharged or retired before serving a minimum four years. It also covers those who may have less than four years of active duty before becoming reservists.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you were medically discharged/retired due to a severe/chronic illness or develop a disability (perhaps due to an accident.) My younger brother was medically retired after battling Hodgkin's Disease shortly after joining the Navy. I don't remember if he was under 21 at the time, but in a similar circumstance a service member could be honorably discharged or retired before serving a minimum four years. It also covers those who may have less than four years of active duty before becoming reservists.
This isnt a perfect bill but lets not forget the main focus.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...is hereby authorized to carry a service weapon approved and issued by the employing agency anywhere in, personal rifle or shotgun throughout the State of Oklahoma, both while on active duty and during periods when the officer is not on active duty...

Interesting I know a few departments that don't issue weapons and the officers have to buy their own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom