Constitutional Carry send your support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This reminds me of when the Kansas authorities were deciding if the 223 was good for deer. There were those who bitterly opposed it and when it was pointed out that there had not been the predicted problems in the states that allowed it, they had no answer but they still opposed it.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either it's a right or it isn't. As for SDA training, we all know it's a joke. You could flip a booger on the bullseye at that distance and yet some dumba$$ will manage to hit your target instead of theirs. Not really very confidence inspiring. As stated before, citizens of Missouri are granted the right to carry in Oklahoma without a permit but our own citizens are not. That's crazy.

I'm absolutely onboard with laying the smack-down on anyone that does anything stupid though.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either it's a right or it isn't. As for SDA training, we all know it's a joke. You could flip a booger on the bullseye at that distance and yet some dumba$$ will manage to hit your target instead of theirs. Not really very confidence inspiring. As stated before, citizens of Missouri are granted the right to carry in Oklahoma without a permit but our own citizens are not. That's crazy.

I'm absolutely onboard with laying the smack-down on anyone that does anything stupid though.

I have to disagree with that in bold above. I learned something...

...while the wife and I were at the range that day, I set my handgun down and went to check her target. (She is "right eye" dominant but she can't close her left eye for aiming, especially with a rifle.) I looked over her shoulder and saw an awesome shot group. I slinked my way back down to my bay, deciding right then I wasn't messing with that woman. Learned something VERY valuable.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to disagree with that in bold above. I learned something...

...while the wife and I were at the range that day, I set my handgun down and went to check her target. (She is "right eye" dominant but she can't close her left eye for aiming, especially with a rifle.) I looked over her shoulder and saw an awesome shot group. I slinked my way back down to my bay, deciding right then I wasn't messing with that woman. Learned something VERY valuable.

In almost every class I instruct, there will be couples. Nine out of ten of those couples the wife will out shoot the husband. Difference being the fact she didn't come to the class assuming she was an operator OR a marksman. She will listen to what I tell her, make adjustments as I instruct her and follow the basic fundamentals. She doesn't feel the need to impress anyone with her SKILLZ and is just there to learn.

It's amazing what one can learn when you understand that you don't already know everything.

That being said, the SDA class is not a combat pistol training course and isn't touted as such. It has minimal requirements for proficiency, as it should be. (Basic safety, don't shoot anyone and for the most part you are good to go.)

I think I've said this here before but "all up all in" when I consider the time and my personal expenses, I have likely not broke even teaching this course nor did I ever intend to. I don't charge a fee for anyone serving in an active or reserve military capacity, spouses of first responders/LEO or anyone that honestly tells me the cost of the course is what prevents them from attaining their license. I've furnished pistols and ammo to those who didn't have their own at no charge. I've spent many hours beyond the required eight to ensure all the questions from the attendees have been asked and answered to the best of my ability to do so. Stayed on the range well into the hours of darkness shooting under car/truck lights for any that wanted more practice/instruction.

All that to say, for the most part I think you can get out of the class what you put in. Sure there are those who are out to make an extra buck or three by teaching the course and that's fine as long as they at a minimum follow the course materials and hold to the minimum instructional requirements. By and large I think that's the case but I do hear from time to time that some instructors aren't taking their class to the range, are not properly administering the safety exam (I use this as a gauge to see if I've adequately conveyed the information) or not covering the basics of firearms handling (IMO the MOST useful part of the course).

Edit: In 25 years I have failed and ejected only 2 people. Not for failures or deficiency to perform to the standards of the course but due to the attitude they displayed in the first 15 minutes of the course. "I can't wait to get this license. Won't be no (Insert expletive here) mess with me once I'm packing." No I didn't return their fee.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had this discussion at the range with an instructor and he was adamant about not allowing carry without the course. When I pointed out that it goes against the 2A, he looked at me and said "Don't give me that BS". I just nodded and walked away. I understand the wanting training for those who carry. Most people now days are not instructed on how to handle a firearm or shoot by their parents as older generations were. And there are people I wouldn't trust with a nerf gun much less an actual firearm. But the fact remains we all are born with the right to self defense. No law should seek to restrict that right unless taken by due process. Yes, this will mean there could be instances where someone screws up because they lacked the proper training, but you can not restrict the masses just because a possibility exists, especially when other states have shown this not to be a problem.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like With anything there are those that we would rather not have carry a firearm.
Just the same with drivers license, there are some people (and we have all seen them or know some) that should not be driving but yet they do.
Im retired/LEO and I agree that training should be part of the carry position.
But in the real world just like driving there will be those who take that responsibility serious and get training and those who will not.
You have drivers ed in schools and you must complete that to get a DL.. But even that dose not make all who pass it a responsible driver.
So it is what it is. Yea it may suck to some but at the end of the day we are all responsible for our own actions. I just hope people make the right decision and if they choose to carry they will get training.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like With anything there are those that we would rather not have carry a firearm.
Just the same with drivers license, there are some people (and we have all seen them or know some) that should not be driving but yet they do.
But in the real world just like driving there will be those who take that responsibility serious and get training and those who will not.
You have drivers ed in schools and you must complete that to get a DL.. But even that dose not make all who pass it a responsible driver.
So it is what it is. Yea it may suck to some but at the end of the day we are all responsible for our own actions. I just hope people make the right decision and if they choose to carry they will get training.
Unless things have changed drivers ed isn't required in all states. I got mine by reading a book for an hour, taking a written test on that book and taking a 5 minute driving test. I got a learners permit at about 15 1/2 yo and dad had to sign off that I drove 40 daytime hours and 10 night hours before I could get my license. Hell, I probably had a few hundred hours of highway driving hauling horses around the country before I even got my permit. Anyhow.......I don't remember what point I was trying to make if any.

I wonder how many folks get kilt because someone is inexperienced with alcohol. All you gotta do is be 21yo to get all the alcohol you want. I'm not bashing alcohol!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I know you know this but driving isnt anyone's "right" at all.
Just clarifying

Latest posts

Top Bottom