Constitutional Carry Signed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sheriff was in the grocery store one time and I told him I was carrying. His response was to the effect that he wished more people did.
Sounds like a good Sheriff to keep in office. Ours is supposed to be pro gun but I have never talked with him before. My niece is going out with the sheriffs grand son and he said he is very pro 2A. Having a pro gun sheriff is the best thing we can have imho. They have a lot of pull.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You also need an SDA license to carry within 1,000 feet of the boundaries of K-12 school property (Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990). Without a license, it’s a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

That’s why we need to repeal the GFSZA.
Thanks for posting this. I didn’t know about this being our law. I have a license so it doesn’t affect me but still good to know. I wonder how this will change since CC will be the law of the land come Nov. 1st? Also, what if you live within a 1,000 feet of a school? Do you still have to have a license to be able to carry on your property? Just a thought.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I didn’t know about this being our law. I have a license so it doesn’t affect me but still good to know. I wonder how this will change since CC will be the law of the land come Nov. 1st? Also, what if you live within a 1,000 feet of a school? Do you still have to have a license to be able to carry on your property? Just a thought.
IANAL, but my understanding is that guns carried on private property are allowed, but without a license issued by the state in which the school is located, the gun must be in a locked container.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IANAL, but my understanding is that guns carried on private property are allowed, but without a license issued by the state in which the school is located, the gun must be in a locked container.

Would your vehicle with its doors locked count? It contains things and it can be locked!

That would be my "interpretation"/"defense". YI/DMV.

Woody

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how this will change since CC will be the law of the land come Nov. 1st?

The constitutional carry bill won’t change it. It’s federal law.

Also, what if you live within a 1,000 feet of a school? Do you still have to have a license to be able to carry on your property?

There’s an exception for possessing a firearm on private property within a school zone as long as the property isn’t school property. I’m not a lawyer, but as I understand it as long as you’re on your property, the GFSZA doesn’t prohibit you from possessing and carrying loaded firearms, with no requirement that it be in a locked container or anything like that.

Here’s a link to the statute. I encourage everyone to read it for themselves rather than taking my word for it or anyone else’s. It’s pretty short and easy to read.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922#q_2_A

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting to hear the discussion here about the desirability of training.

Is there a free online SDA course? If not, there should be. This would address many concerns....newcomers could be encouraged to go online and learn....and such a course would direct a person in how to get experience at a range on their own or under the direction of an instructor (whichever is appropriate for the person)

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would your vehicle with its doors locked count? It contains things and it can be locked!

That would be my "interpretation"/"defense". YI/DMV.

Woody

The law doesn’t define “locked container,” so a locked vehicle could conceivably meet that standard, but I wouldn’t risk it. A locked compartment (glove box, console, trunk, etc.) would be safer, legally, but I still wouldn’t risk it. And obviously putting a carry gun in a locked compartment means you’re no longer carrying it, so there’s not much point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom