Constitutional Carry Signed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was talking to a neighbor about this last night and we looked at the neighborhood map on line. Found out that, like many other people in BA we can't even walk out our front doors without being in a school zone as many neighborhoods have at least one elementary school in it. Don't see it being a big issue here, but it could be if they wanted it to.

Exactly. The GFSZA is rarely enforced, but it can be used at any time against anyone. Selectively-enforced laws like this one are insidious because they can be used as political tools against people who aren’t really doing anything wrong. I won’t carry without an SDA license because it’s not worth the risk of accidentally crossing into a school zone and being prosecuted. School zones are nearly impossible to avoid in many areas and how would you know for sure you’re not in one? You basically have to be absolutely certain about the exact boundaries of every school’s property and then precisely measure 1,000 feet out in a 360° circle from every point on the property boundaries. It’s a law designed to be practically impossible to comply with unless you just don’t carry.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m glad it passed, but yes it really needs to be cleaned up.

Just to clarify, the Gun-Free School Zones Act is federal law, not state law. In other words, Oklahoma makes it legal to carry a firearm without a license (as of November 1), but the US makes it illegal to carry within 1,000 feet of school property without a license. There are a few small things I’ve noticed in HB 2597 that will need cleaning up at some point, but the main cleanup needed is Congress needs to repeal the GFSZA.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So teachers and support can have their CCW in the locked unattended car while on school property. Will Constitutional Carry allow for non permit holders to do the same?

Just to clarify, the Gun-Free School Zones Act is federal law, not state law. In other words, Oklahoma makes it legal to carry a firearm without a license (as of November 1), but the US makes it illegal to carry within 1,000 feet of school property without a license. There are a few small things I’ve noticed in HB 2597 that will need cleaning up at some point, but the main cleanup needed is Congress needs to repeal the GFSZA.
I haven’t read the bill in its entirety, makes my head hurt. So, I take it you’ll still need your SDA to drop you kids off at school?

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't know we couldn't carry our firearm in our vehicle when pulling into the post office parking lot. I knew I couldn't have it on my person if I wish to go inside, but thought I could leave it in the car. Whoops. The two PO's in BA have no parking close enough to park and walk. The more I study and learn about the 2A the more dumbfounded I get as to how restrictions like that have passed legal scrutiny.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was talking to a neighbor about this last night and we looked at the neighborhood map on line. Found out that, like many other people in BA we can't even walk out our front doors without being in a school zone as many neighborhoods have at least one elementary school in it. Don't see it being a big issue here, but it could be if they wanted it to.
I know a guy in a neighborhood like that.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like open carry, I don't expect to see major changes. For the most part, I think people who want to carry are carrying now with a license.

Except, of course, the criminals who carry regardless. And, of course, there will never be a change regarding criminals. I feel better with good people carrying guns without government hinder. Good people carrying guns will never deter bad people from carrying gun but good people with guns can put a stop to those criminals bent on using guns with evil intent.

Woody

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get thank yous all the time for carrying, Once from a OKCPO. He walked up to me and said "thank you for exercising your second amendment, we need more people like you"
Made me feel real good.
My sheriff was in the grocery store one time and I told him I was carrying. His response was to the effect that he wished more people did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom