Contact with LEO and CCW experiences.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Experience when CCW and LEO contact

• Total voters

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When was your brother stopped? Current laws do not allow an officer in a traffic stop to remove or ask you to remove your weapon. You don't even have to tell them your in possession of a firearm unless they ask.

D. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be required upon the demand of the law enforcement officer. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee or as lawfully in possession of any other firearm if the law enforcement officer does not demand the information. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee when no handgun is in the possession of the person or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violator of the provisions of this subsection may be issued a citation for an amount not exceeding One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).
https://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69791

All that being said, If I get stopped, I do notify and give the officer my CC card along with the DL.
If they ask me to remove or handle my firearm that is when the issue develops. In this day and time of body cams it isn't happening. A supervisor will need to be called.
I've been stopped a couple of times and the interaction has been good.

Nearly the same thing happened to me in Sapulpa about two years ago. Ignorant cop asked to seize my Glock, I stated plainly in front of another cop, "take it, but I am not giving permission", I asked what threat or action I had done to warrant the seizure, she replied "nothing". After a huddle with some other officers she returned my gun, asked me not to load it yet, and didn't write me a ticket. I obtained a dvd of the second cops body cam and sent it to my lawyer. It was a blatant violation of the law - he was going to get it to Don Spencer, not sure if Don ever got it or not. (And yes I informed when pulled over, or silly girl would not have known I had it)

FWIW - I've had two run-ins with LEOs since that one, and both times the cops were friendly, and seemed to care less that I had a weapon. (in the latest incident, which involved me violating the speed limit in a grand fashion, there was a freaking pile of guns in the truck lol - dude didn't bat an eye)

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nearly the same thing happened to me in Sapulpa about two years ago. Ignorant cop asked to seize my Glock, I stated plainly in front of another cop, "take it, but I am not giving permission", I asked what threat or action I had done to warrant the seizure, she replied "nothing". After a huddle with some other officers she returned my gun, asked me not to load it yet, and didn't write me a ticket. I obtained a dvd of the second cops body cam and sent it to my lawyer. It was a blatant violation of the law - he was going to get it to Don Spencer, not sure if Don ever got it or not. (And yes I informed when pulled over, or silly girl would not have known I had it)

FWIW - I've had two run-ins with LEOs since that one, and both times the cops were friendly, and seemed to care less that I had a weapon. (in the latest incident, which involved me violating the speed limit in a grand fashion, there was a freaking pile of guns in the truck lol - dude didn't bat an eye)
I had a similar incident not long ago while transporting a good haul of consignment pieces and ammunition. After business was done between us for my violation of the speed limit. The officer asked if I had anything of a certain variety that would interest him and we ended up doing business at a later date.

Latest posts

Top Bottom