Contender knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Taylor

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have Contender knowledge?
Difference between 10 and 15” 30-30 barrel, pros cons
Anyone run suppressors on them.
One piece lock vs two

Thanks

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 10" .30-30 Contender barrel.

It somewhat falls into the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" category. It is an open-sighted barrel with black on black sights. I am sure that it will work fine on game, but low light situations would make it hard to pick up the sights. Muzzle energy is in the .454 Casull arena, as is recoil because even though the bullet is lighter, the Contender weighs less than my .454 Freedom Arms. Muzzle flash is also something to "contend" with when using traditional rifle powders for the .30-30 and its burn speeds...or factory ammo.

Cast bullets with gas checks and a pistol powder like Trail Boss make for an interesting plinker.

To be honest, it has been years since I had the .30-30 barrel back on that Contender. I have a 22S/L/LR barrel on it now and am using it to shoot skunks with old 22 shorts. Doesn't always kill them right away, but occasionally it will prevent the post mortem spray.

No supressor use with mine either, so can't help you there. Sorry.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No experience with suppressors here. I'm assuming by 1 or 2 piece lock you're talking about the locking lugs on the barrel? I've had both and don't really have a preference. I have a 10" .30-30 and my dad have a 14". The 14" was easier to shoot, less recoil. The 10" is not bad at all for me. I think both my 10" and 14" .44 magnum barrels are way more brutal to shoot.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up this barrel, testing it this PM. In reading up on the barrels I saw that TC was planning to eliminate the 10” 30-30 due to poor accuracies but then they developed/released the Super 14 and accuracies improved to an acceptable level and they decided to continue chambering it for the 30-30 cartridge.
32EBC54D-378C-4D43-9B97-49979CA6E5D5.jpeg

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up this barrel, testing it this PM. In reading up on the barrels I saw that TC was planning to eliminate the 10” 30-30 due to poor accuracies but then they developed/released the Super 14 and accuracies improved to an acceptable level and they decided to continue chambering it for the 30-30 cartridge. View attachment 321854
Dang that's super nice! always wanted one never found a good enough deal!

Latest posts

Top Bottom