CONTROLLED HUNTS--LETS HEAR HOW YOU DID

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have been on your controlled hunt, lets hear how it went.
We went to Atoka on a youth hunt and we didn't make it happen, but we saw several kids who did. Seems they were rubbing pretty hard and making a few scrapes in that area. temp's were hot, but still were around 15 deer killed out of 46 kids.
Mostly small bucks but did see a nice one get checked.

How'd you do?

ToeKNEE

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get Pushmataha muzzle loader. I've never been hunting in SE OK until then and boy was I overwhelmed Thursday while scouting. First day was an absolute bust, didn't see a thing except for turkey and grey squirrels. 2nd day was a crap shoot fly by the seat of our pants decision to try another area which had tons of deer sign but no deer. On our last day I had a better understanding of how and where these deer move and I saw 14 doe but no bucks. No way I was dragging a doe up out of that bottom so I never fired a shot. My buddy killed an 8 pointer so I call it a successful hunt. I learned a great deal and I had a lot of fun.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never hunts controlled hunts out there but I have now hunted and seen some good deer. I've also seen a few good deer taken during muzzleloader. The place holds some nice deer and the deer are really moving down this way. I'd say that the X factor is pressure from the weekend hunts.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have been on your controlled hunt, lets hear how it went.
We went to Atoka on a youth hunt and we didn't make it happen, but we saw several kids who did. Seems they were rubbing pretty hard and making a few scrapes in that area. temp's were hot, but still were around 15 deer killed out of 46 kids.
Mostly small bucks but did see a nice one get checked.

How'd you do?
Bummer, was hoping you'd luck into some.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a hunt at Salt Plains Mon -> Wed (11/14 -> 11/16). You have to take a doe first and 2nd deer is either sex. The receiver on my semi-auto BAR was not closed, so I misfired on the ONLY does I saw and that was day 1 (lesson hard learned!). Saw 5-6 diff bucks the next two days, but could not shoot them :( That's OK, they were all 2.5 years and younger. Two of 8 ptrs came through my wheat field multiple times. Also, had a funky 1.5 yr old 6 or 7 ptr, that looked like a double beam on one side

Three hunters tagged out on the first evening and another 3-4 tagged out by day 3. Great hunt, beautiful place and nice, friendly NWR employees (Barry, Roy & Shane). Barry told me he thought my lack of luck was due to 3 does being taken on previous hunts on the same field I hunted PLUS the weather was too warm with no freezes to drop leaves. Food was too plentiful in the woods and the deer didn't have to move much.

Good luck to everyone,
DreamingMan
:osu

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is Jan 9th for Elk in Wichita Mtns. I've been preparing by hiking a 2-3 miles a couple time a week with 40 pounds in my pack. Kicks my butt but hopefully it will help me hiking out the elk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom