Controlling Groundhogs / Woodchucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have noticed 2 or 3 groundhog holes around our property and the previous owners complained about them eating their garden. I love to grow a garden and in preparation for the upcoming growing season I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck controlling them? I've read about moth balls, ammonia, used kitty litter, fox pee, smoke bombs, etc but from what I read, none seem to be real successful. Anyone know how to control these darn critters?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
groundhog day.png

Groundhogs gotta eat too ya know.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking about pocket gophers that push up dirt into mounds? They make traps that you insert into one of the mounds. Done properly, it's quite effective.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about either gophers or moles. One way or the other, the only truly effective way I know of controlling them is with traps. If you are seeing mounds of dirt, you have gophers. If you can the see the tracks of their tunnels, you have moles. In a larger, more 'industrial' setting, I know some farmers who plant the poison peanuts and have very good luck controlling them. But, that takes a tractor and specialized equipment.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You can live trap them. Set your traps fairly close to burrow up wind, cut a cantaloupe in half and throw it in the back of the trap. We trapped them growing up as kids in eastern OK.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No not talking about gophers or moles... I am talking about groundhogs or otherwise know as woodchucks. Groundhog day is tomorrow, take a gander at Punxsutawney Phil in the news in the morning... Groundhog. These guys were the size of a very large house cat late last summer and I hear they can play he!! with your garden.

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood..........

I had an exterminator tell me that the best way to eliminate moles was to eliminate the food source. Spread some diazinon granules or something similar. That will run off the grubs that the moles eat. No forage, no moles. I can't confirm or deny if it works but the exterminator was pretty adamant about it. YMMV.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood..........

I had an exterminator tell me that the best way to eliminate moles was to eliminate the food source. Spread some diazinon granules or something similar. That will run off the grubs that the moles eat. No forage, no moles. I can't confirm or deny if it works but the exterminator was pretty adamant about it. YMMV.

Don't have a problem with moles, just groundhogs. Groundhogs seem to like vegetation from your garden.

Latest posts

Top Bottom