Controlling Groundhogs / Woodchucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood..........

I had an exterminator tell me that the best way to eliminate moles was to eliminate the food source. Spread some diazinon granules or something similar. That will run off the grubs that the moles eat. No forage, no moles. I can't confirm or deny if it works but the exterminator was pretty adamant about it. YMMV.

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

When I was a kid, my dad just shot them with his 410. They would gather in our dump in the back yard. (Yes, back in the 50's, some people in Massachusetts still had dumps in their back yard.)

Woody

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_thumb_7_7f_Marmota_mona8dcb9e82ec26d822f0de3dbc7cb2963c.png

The red above shows the range of the groundhog/woodchuck. As you can see, it just barely touches Oklahoma in the eastern tier of counties. The Wildlife Department website has a photo of a woodchuck but no narrative info and no specified season. So, it seems you're legal to take out as many as you want by whatever means. However, put me in the "skeptical" category as to whether there are really any woodchuck in Oklahoma. You, the OP, are the one that has the problem so I'll take it at face value and just admit to no personal experience in seeing one.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_thumb_7_7f_Marmota_mona8dcb9e82ec26d822f0de3dbc7cb2963c.png

The red above shows the range of the groundhog/woodchuck. As you can see, it just barely touches Oklahoma in the eastern tier of counties. The Wildlife Department website has a photo of a woodchuck but no narrative info and no specified season. So, it seems you're legal to take out as many as you want by whatever means. However, put me in the "skeptical" category as to whether there are really any woodchuck in Oklahoma. You, the OP, are the one that has the problem so I'll take it at face value and just admit to no personal experience in seeing one.

Trust me. there are groundhogs around Lake Hudson. The first one I kill I will take a picture of it with it's buck two front teeth an post on here. I am no animal expert but I have seen them and the locals assure me they are groundhogs.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Noted - as I posted, I have never come across one in OK.

If you're ever in Bartlesville, go drive around the Hot, Warm, Cold water towers along Adams and Washington(high way 75). Used to see them regularly just to the NNW of the water towers.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me. there are groundhogs around Lake Hudson. The first one I kill I will take a picture of it with it's buck two front teeth an post on here. I am no animal expert but I have seen them and the locals assure me they are groundhogs.

Sounds like that map needs an update for your experience and 4570's report, too. I've just always considered these an "east of the Mississippi" critter since the outdoor mags had articles on hunting these animals in that part of the US.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wildlife/nongamespecies/woodchuck
Go read up a little in the link I provided and see if you are still "skeptical".

Latest posts

Top Bottom