Conversion Of Holland Companion Grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Holland Companion Grill and it's for LPG only-the Holland company says to not convert it to natural gas. Ive read somewhere on the internet that its been done, the orifices do scew out. Has anyone one here drilled out the orifice? I'm thinking of doing that or taking it to an LPG supplier and having them convert it if no one can refer me to the how-to-do instructions.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve converted a NG central heat unit to propane to heat my shop. Had to change out a spring and a couple of diaphragms as well as smaller orfices, but never the other way.
Why do they suggest not converting to NG? BTU’s too high?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's a liability issue for the company, I wish I had bookmarked that site I read about the conversion. I've search and searched to no avail, I can't find the resource. I guess I'm going to have to take it to a propane guy and leet them convert the thing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just did a little looking. Propane has a higher BTU rating than Natural Gas, so safety wouldn't be an issue.

BTU is a measure of heating efficiency – in the case of propane vs. natural gas, propane has more than double the BTU rating (1030 to 2490). This means that, even if you are paying more for propane on a per-unit basis, the fuel you're buying will burn cleaner and heat your home with greater efficiency.
https://fosterfuels.com/blog/propane-vs-natural-gas-which-is-best-for-your-home/

I actually found what you're looking for on Hollands own site. Here are detailed instructions with parts, etc to convert to NG.

https://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/support.tips/cat_id/1/index.htm
Even lists orfice sizes.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, the Companion Grill uses the regulator and the orifice screws into the regulator which fits into the burner opening. I expect I could change out the orifice and then gut the regulator (take out the rubber baffles and such) and then hook it to natural gas and go. Thank you for looking that up for me, I could even drill out the current orifice once I determine the size drill I need. I couldn't;t get. straight answer out of Holland.com except "Don't do it it is too dangerous, you'll blow your eye out."

Latest posts

Top Bottom