Convert .308 AR to .243 Win???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
yea looks like that's it then. Wonder why you don't see more .243 ARs out there considering how popular a cartridge it is and ease to make one.
DPMS used to sell them. There used to be some off the shelf barrels available too. But with the rise of 6.5 Creedmoor those seemed to disappear. I haven't checked in a while though either. Where Creedmoor really beats the old .243 is factory ammo availability for bulk and match loads. Also with heavier bullets available I would imagine it is more suitable for game that is larger/tougher than .243 can ethically take.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, the biggest reason I won't switch to .243 is barrel life. It's already short in a bolt gun, add the fun factor of repeatedly pulling the trigger and that goes down. Most people won't shoot a barrel 1500 rounds, but I've been through 2 barrels on one bolt gun and finally chambered it in 308 for barrel life.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty fond of the 6mm in an AR-15 platform, and it's not a barrel burner....

The engineering of the Super Short Magnum maximizes science to get better performance. Better powders have reduced heat and reduced heat equals lower erosion potential in the throats of the barrels. That covers Thermal and Chemical erosion concerns.

Lastly, better available steel for barrels busts the myth of barrel erosion from a mechanical perspective. Quality barrels commonly of a stainless steel variety, are better, are harder, combined with improved technology, simply do not produce excessive barrel wear.

In fact, Tom Spithaller, Director of Sales, Olympic Arms, Inc., told me their .243 WSSM demo rifle, made in 2004, is still used regularly, and has approximately 8,000 rounds thru it. It is still holding tight groups with beautiful performance and no erosion issues from a barrel made of 416SS. I am pretty positive that far exceeds what a normal hunter or recreational shooter would put thru their barrel in a life time (in this caliber).

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...truth-243-wssm-winchester-super-short-magnum/

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty fond of the 6mm in an AR-15 platform, and it's not a barrel burner....

The engineering of the Super Short Magnum maximizes science to get better performance. Better powders have reduced heat and reduced heat equals lower erosion potential in the throats of the barrels. That covers Thermal and Chemical erosion concerns.

Lastly, better available steel for barrels busts the myth of barrel erosion from a mechanical perspective. Quality barrels commonly of a stainless steel variety, are better, are harder, combined with improved technology, simply do not produce excessive barrel wear.

In fact, Tom Spithaller, Director of Sales, Olympic Arms, Inc., told me their .243 WSSM demo rifle, made in 2004, is still used regularly, and has approximately 8,000 rounds thru it. It is still holding tight groups with beautiful performance and no erosion issues from a barrel made of 416SS. I am pretty positive that far exceeds what a normal hunter or recreational shooter would put thru their barrel in a life time (in this caliber).

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...truth-243-wssm-winchester-super-short-magnum/
Dennis is right. The 416SS barrels today are better than the 416SS barrels of 10 years ago. That 55 grain pill traveling over 4K fps won't hurt it. Throat erosion has been eliminated and there's no need for replacement barrels anymore. Build it and shoot it.:spitlaugh

Last edited:

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Olympic Arms made some fantastic stainless steel AR barrels. I have an old@15yrs Olympic .223 barrel that was HB, turned down by Tromix/Tony Rumore and it is one of the most accurate 5.56/223 AR’s that I have with various ammo.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
243 WIN is a 308 WIN case necked DOWN to .243" . Both cartridges as well as the 6 & 6.5 CM require the larger AR 10 platform which equals more weight. If you are reloading i like the 6MM CM over the 243 WIN.

243 WIN is a great cartridge just more choices out there now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom