Converting a S&W J frame for moon clips. Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a discussion with a buddy that ankle carries his backup. It's a S&W 360J that's been converted to a 360PD with the OEM titanium cylinder available from Midway.
His complaint is that it sounds like he's wearing spurs, with the 357s bouncing around in the cylinder.

I suggested a moon clip conversion before doing any research.

Upon doing the research, I realized it was something I'd seriously consider if all my Smith's weren't collectors.

Per TK Customs:
https://tkcustom.com/services/machining-sw

*** In Shop time for machining cylinders is now 1-3 business days * Except *9mm Conversions*. Plus transportation both ways.

*** Payment can be by Credit Card or Certified Funds

Has anyone done this? Do reload times exponentially increase for the money spent? I do firmly believe the snugness of the moon clips would alleviate the rattling, but hopefully it would have other benefits, aside from the fact that loaded moon clips take up less space than your average speed loader.

I'd love to hear pros and cons on the conversion.
Screenshot_2021-05-20-11-32-35-1.png
Screenshot_2021-05-20-11-33-14-1.png

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’ve had a 9mm with moon clips and they had a lot of “wiggle” in them so not sure it would cut down on any rattling. 38 might be tighter. I just carry a speed loader or speed strip for reloading my 340. I don’t notice any rattle with .357 rounds in the cylinder.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Model 640-1 Pro Series that was cut for moon clips at the factory. The clip is great for smoother ejection of empties, but I never carried reloads in a one. I was always afraid that the clip would get bent in my pocket and cause binding if I ever needed it.

Moon clips are great for reloads at the range. I usually load a bunch of them up before I take my 625 to the range.

Here's a picture, just because.
640-1b5SM.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Model 640-1 Pro Series that was cut for moon clips at the factory. The clip is great for smoother ejection of empties, but I never carried reloads in a one. I was always afraid that the clip would get bent in my pocket and cause binding if I ever needed it.

Moon clips are great for reloads at the range. I usually load a bunch of them up before I take my 625 to the range.

Here's a picture, just because.
640-1b5SM.jpg

And you just keep posting those pics of your Revo's with the very cool grips. Why? Just because. What ae those beautiful grips in the above pic? Bird's Eye Maple?

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My apologies for sidetracking the thread - also tacky of me.
No apology needed! I know how much yall love the wood around here, but I was thinking of replacing some of my factory grips with these. Fully factory 60s spec, but made of matte black polymer. Interested to hear yalls thoughts. They're $21 shipped.
pix084409939.jpg
pix172065858.jpg
pix741188580.jpg
pix904576345.jpg
pix962475156.jpg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No apology needed! I know how much yall love the wood around here, but I was thinking of replacing some of my factory grips with these. Fully factory 60s spec, but made of matte black polymer. Interested to hear yalls thoughts. They're $21 shipped.
View attachment 206846

Those look pretty nice. If you're interested in synthetic, but not rubber, you may want to check out the seller skkustoms on fleabay. They sell some nice ones at decent prices and their listings indicate that they're from Panola, OK. They sold the set that I currently have on my model 38:
38a7SM.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom