Converting a S&W J frame for moon clips. Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Model 640-1 Pro Series that was cut for moon clips at the factory. The clip is great for smoother ejection of empties, but I never carried reloads in a one. I was always afraid that the clip would get bent in my pocket and cause binding if I ever needed it.

Moon clips are great for reloads at the range. I usually load a bunch of them up before I take my 625 to the range.

Here's a picture, just because.
640-1b5SM.jpg
I don't have any problems with bending due to pocket carry, although I concede it is a possibility. My clips are pretty robust, however: they are 45 ACP, 10mm and 7-shot 9mm, so that possibly makes a difference.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone is posting pics of pretty grips, I wanna play.
69353713-D0C6-4E5A-B4AB-B624E725BF9D.jpeg

This is also a moon clip gun, a 610 to be exact. I absolutely love the moon clips, especially with TK customs mooning/demooning tools. I’m not a big fan of the HKS speedloaders, no matter what I do I just can’t get proficient with them, and they’re just as, if not more bulky than moon clips. I do like the bianchi speed strips though. Way easier to carry in your pocket.
Is it the fastest way to reload? Well, ask Jerry Miculek. It starts at 5:00.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m probably wrong here but don’t the ‘pro’ models use moon clips? Seems I had a 442 Pro that required them to eject the spent cases

Latest posts

Top Bottom