Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been perfecting my home made Pastrami, takes about 2 weeks start to finish but it's damn good ....

I've done it twice now. Second time was much better than the first, but I still have lots of room to improve on this particular project.

I have only done it 4 times now the first wat a corned beef only the second was a Salty as hell pastrami the next two were pastrami's and I was using 19 lb whole chuck roasts cut in two pieces I think I will try a brisket this next time the chuck is a bit to thick and sometime the brine doesn't get tot he center, either that or wi will inject the brine next time.

I did one recently too. It came out pretty good but was also a bit too salty. I just used a small pre-packaged corned beef brisket as a test and soaked it in plain water in the fridge for 2.5 days changing out the water a couple of times. Thank God I did that because I don't think it would have been edible had I not. But it did take the smoke in the big green egg fabulously and cooked up great, it had great flavor except for the salt. I'll brine my own one day. I used the Katz clone recipe on the web.
IMG_4301.JPG

gremmy11

Marksman
Reaction score
Yesterday I cooked very delicious tomato soup. I used some ingredients: extra-virgin olive oil, unsalted butter large white onion, finely chopped, clove garlic, smashed and peeled and other products. So, all these ingredients I put to the new multicooker which I bought on https://multicooker.com/uk/catalog/multicookers/ and multicooker cooked soup. My tomato soup was delicious

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday I cooked very delicious tomato soup. I used some ingredients: extra-virgin olive oil, unsalted butter large white onion, finely chopped, clove garlic, smashed and peeled and other products. So, all these ingredients I put to the new multicooker which I bought on https://multicooker.com/uk/catalog/multicookers/ and multicooker cooked soup. My tomato soup was delicious
I neither own nor have used an Instapot, but I've read good reviews, including one from a personal friend.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've become quite good at baking sour dough bread. Been using the same 'starter' for a couple of years now and can't remember the last time I bought bread from the store. :spaghetti:

What I do know is that I feel better since I've stopped using store bought bread.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the same response out of most folks..

I asked everybody, do you like Turnips?
"NO.!"
Have you ever eaten Turnips?
"no."

Then how do you know you don't like em?

I saw my Grandpa pick one out of the neighbors garden when I was a kid and eat it like an apple with his pocket knife. Other than that, zero experience with turnips.

I planted a few at the end of August, this weekend some were big enough to use.

xlQ5IzF.jpg

PLsxNuU.jpg

So I found Pioneer Woman's recipe for Au Gratin Turnips. I would cut back on the garlic and I didn't care for Guyere, it was kinda bitter. But I was pleasantly surprised. Using the right cheese, I don't think most folks could tell it wasn't potatoes if you didn't tell them.

Will probably try again in the future, see if I can improve it..

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's quite interesting... I've never been a turnip fan, per se, although I can stomach them. Usually had a few chopped up in some soups when I was growing up, I think. I know turnips are a staple crop in a lot of places and can be lifesaving at times for some folks. I've always wondered how they could actually stand to eat them, though! lol

They have a very strong and tart flavor, to me. But that dish above looks pretty good. I agrree, I don't think I'd want Gruyere cheese, either. Maybe that's just so the nasty cheese flavor outweighs the turnips? lol I don't know... might be interesting.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seen my grandpa eat them right out of the ground with his knife for a fork too and usually in the morning no less. That's when he usually picked. To beat the heat I guess. Same with radishes. I can't even remember what turnips taste like.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's quite interesting... I've never been a turnip fan, per se, although I can stomach them. Usually had a few chopped up in some soups when I was growing up, I think. I know turnips are a staple crop in a lot of places and can be lifesaving at times for some folks. I've always wondered how they could actually stand to eat them, though! lol

They have a very strong and tart flavor, to me. But that dish above looks pretty good. I agrree, I don't think I'd want Gruyere cheese, either. Maybe that's just so the nasty cheese flavor outweighs the turnips? lol I don't know... might be interesting.
People eating them for ages is why I wanted to try them, just out of curiosity.
I hadn't ever eaten Gruyere cheese either, so I didn't know what to expect.

I found a couple places in the web that said the secret to turnips is in peeling them. When you cut the green top off, you'll notice an inner ring, like a tree ring that stands out, 1/8"-1/4" inside the peel. I was told to get rid of everything down to that ring, and in doing so would cure the "turnip funk" that most people talk about. Sure nuff, I didn't notice any bad smell or taste when cooking and eating. Might be something to that..

Seen my grandpa eat them right out of the ground with his knife for a fork too and usually in the morning no less.
I'll tell you what, that generation was a bunch of tough SOB's. Anybody who can eat a turnip in that fashion has my respect.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People eating them for ages is why I wanted to try them, just out of curiosity.
I hadn't ever eaten Gruyere cheese either, so I didn't know what to expect.

I found a couple places in the web that said the secret to turnips is in peeling them. When you cut the green top off, you'll notice an inner ring, like a tree ring that stands out, 1/8"-1/4" inside the peel. I was told to get rid of everything down to that ring, and in doing so would cure the "turnip funk" that most people talk about. Sure nuff, I didn't notice any bad smell or taste when cooking and eating. Might be something to that..

I'll tell you what, that generation was a bunch of tough SOB's. Anybody who can eat a turnip in that fashion has my respect.

LOL! Yep. He absolutely loved brussel sprouts too. Ate them all the time. I can't eat cooked cabbage unless it's barely cooked at all and has lots of bacon. Then it's really good but it has to have a bit of crunch or I'm totally out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom