Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up 4 pork butts, 10 packs of hamburger buns and a bunch of stuff to make some cowboy baked beans tomorrow. Gonna feed the staff members at one of our local nursing homes who have done a spectacular job keeping anyone in their facility from (thus far) acquiring the COVID-19 virus. So I wanted to do something to show those poor staff at the NH that someone out there appreciates them.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the first 3, 4th one will go on this morning. Doing one delivery for lunch for about 30, then another for about 5 or 6 later tonight. I'll probably do another batch this weekend. These three butts have been on just under 7 hours now at 240F.

20200408_054514-X2.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, those were incredible. I'll have to wait until my meat/fat coma wears off to upload some pics.

Pork belly is awesome... but in the future I'm going to have to make something specific to serve with it that has some freshness/acidity and/or bright sweetness to cut through the fattiness. I have seen the judges and such commenting about that phenomenon on cooking shows, but this is the most prevalent I've ever experienced it. That pork belly was total awesomesauce, but I found myself feeling tired after a couple of slices of all the fattiness and needing something bright to lighten it up. It really is something else.

Wife ended up getting us each a small bowl of fresh cool grapes out of the fridge and that did a great job. Boy it was all good, though.

Like I said, I'll post some pics in a bit, maybe.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, those were incredible. I'll have to wait until my meat/fat coma wears off to upload some pics.

Pork belly is awesome... but in the future I'm going to have to make something specific to serve with it that has some freshness/acidity and/or bright sweetness to cut through the fattiness. I have seen the judges and such commenting about that phenomenon on cooking shows, but this is the most prevalent I've ever experienced it. That pork belly was total awesomesauce, but I found myself feeling tired after a couple of slices of all the fattiness and needing something bright to lighten it up. It really is something else.

Wife ended up getting us each a small bowl of fresh cool grapes out of the fridge and that did a great job. Boy it was all good, though.

I've always found that applesauce tends to go really well with pork. Baked cinnamon apples are also good.

A good marinade for pork is 2 parts apple juice and 1 part your favorite BBQ sauce with a little added cayenne.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Where'd you get the pork belly?
I never see it anywhere.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I’d consider some tabouli as the fresh cool flavor to offset the fatty.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where'd you get the pork belly?
I never see it anywhere.
I get it at Costco.
I saw pork belly's on the futures market were cheaper than since the 50's or something. Will bacon and belly's go down in price at retail? Pork belly's at Costco are the same price pretty much as cured bacon.
Most butcher shops can order it as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom