Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turnips vary a lot in flavor. I really like a good batch, but in our experience it's a crap shoot.

I dunno what the secret is (moisture? soil composition?), but some have no bitterness at all, and some can rival green persimmons.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love turnips. I put them in my food plots every September. You do have to peel them, and I like them raw with salt and pepper.
We mix them in soups, etc. chopped into 1/2" squares.
Like them boiled until tender then add some cheddar cheese and garlic. We think the "whang" adds a different layer of flavor to foods they are cooked with.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy the flavor of turnips. Usually just eat them raw with a sprinkle of salt but when cooked they turn from being a bit bitter and hot to being a bit pungent and sweet. Also like daikon radishes too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the salt overwhelmed the recipe I tried with a corned beef brisket.
Possible because of the salt left in the brisket from the corned beef.
Probable better using a fresh brisket.

You can take some of it out by soaking in fresh cold water for a few hours to overnight changing it out once or twice which is what I did. I just got back from the store and checked the prices on the prepared corned beef briskets. Man! They've went up uuuuugely! They were running $15 and up to $20. 'Eff that, those things used to be about $4 to $6 apiece. I'll be brining my own next time. Two problems averted...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can take some of it out by soaking in fresh cold water for a few hours to overnight changing it out once or twice which is what I did. I just got back from the store and checked the prices on the prepared corned beef briskets. Man! They've went up uuuuugely! They were running $15 and up to $20. 'Eff that, those things used to be about $4 to $6 apiece. I'll be brining my own next time. Two problems averted...

Even fresh briskets are insane now.
Back when the wife and I were on the BBQ circuit, they were .99 per pound.
Now it's like $3.50 or more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom