Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last night was what I call the poor boys seafood boil. Aldis has some jumbo shrimp on sale so one pound of those, package of Butterball turkey smoked sausage, one pound red skins and a few little corn on the cob pieces. 1/4 cub Old Bay, little onion, garlic powder and red pepper. I only got to eat 1 piece of corn and a few potatoes but lots of sausage and shrimp. Wife really loved it. She tore into it before I could get a photo so here is one similar from the web.View attachment 166343
Daum that looks good. Been way too long, like more than a few decades or so since I had a calm or mud bug boil. I think you may have inspired me to do something later this week.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my Popeye's chicken sammiches:

20200627_191441-X2.jpg

20200627_185908-X2.jpg

20200627_192008%280%29-X2.jpg

20200627_192818-X2.jpg

Overall, I have to say, I think i was a little disappointed for the amount of work that went into these things. They were good, don't get me wrong, but they weren't spectacular. I didn't feel the chicken took on much flavor from the marinade or the seasoned breading. In my family we like a lot of flavor and spice, and I found these a bit bland.

Next time, I think I need to BRINE the chicken overnight beforehand... probably with some spices. Skip the buttermilk. I didn't feel the chicken picked up any flavor from the marinade. Maybe it needed longer, but I think 4 hours or 24 hours, not sure it would have made a difference.

I won't bother with sous vide net time, either. I'll just pound 'em out flat and fry them quickly, I felt the breast actually were a bit dry tasting.

The one thing that was a big win was the sauce i made. I used mayo, ketjap manis (homemade), garlic powder, pickle juice and hot sauce. It was pretty bomb and really saved the meal, for me. Next time I'll also use some Tony Chachere's instead of following a recipe. I know what we like and I know how to put spices together, but I felt we needed a lot more for our family.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try brining in dill pickle juice. I personally like the Clausen --- even put a splash of it in my homemade salsa.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup wife uses Pickle Juice in her imitation Chick-fil-a nuggets. Its does add some flavor. The Popeyes sandwich is nothing like Chick-fil-a. Its a giant piece of chicken with a really crispy breading.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my Popeye's chicken sammiches:

20200627_191441-X2.jpg

20200627_185908-X2.jpg

20200627_192008%280%29-X2.jpg

20200627_192818-X2.jpg

Overall, I have to say, I think i was a little disappointed for the amount of work that went into these things. They were good, don't get me wrong, but they weren't spectacular. I didn't feel the chicken took on much flavor from the marinade or the seasoned breading. In my family we like a lot of flavor and spice, and I found these a bit bland.

Next time, I think I need to BRINE the chicken overnight beforehand... probably with some spices. Skip the buttermilk. I didn't feel the chicken picked up any flavor from the marinade. Maybe it needed longer, but I think 4 hours or 24 hours, not sure it would have made a difference.

I won't bother with sous vide net time, either. I'll just pound 'em out flat and fry them quickly, I felt the breast actually were a bit dry tasting.

The one thing that was a big win was the sauce i made. I used mayo, ketjap manis (homemade), garlic powder, pickle juice and hot sauce. It was pretty bomb and really saved the meal, for me. Next time I'll also use some Tony Chachere's instead of following a recipe. I know what we like and I know how to put spices together, but I felt we needed a lot more for our family.

Personally if it involves chicken breast in anything other than chicken and noodles, I won’t eat it. Always too dry and bland tasting.
May I suggest using the boneless, skinless thighs in place of the breasts.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Personally if it involves chicken breast in anything other than chicken and noodles, I won’t eat it. Always too dry and bland tasting.
May I suggest using the boneless, skinless thighs in place of the breasts.
Dried up breast meat is disappointing.

I figured that doing the sous vide plus frying would dry it out. That is basically cooking it twice.

I tried the Popeye's sandwiches and I sure don't understand what all the fuss was about. They were just okay to me.

My favorite seasoning for fried chicken is Louisiana hot sauce.

Believe it or not I can usually find nice juicy bone in fried chicken breasts at two places that most people here despise.

I'll let you guess which two.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dried up breast meat is disappointing.

I figured that doing the sous vide plus frying would dry it out. That is basically cooking it twice.

I tried the Popeye's sandwiches and I sure don't understand what all the fuss was about. They were just okay to me.

My favorite seasoning for fried chicken is Louisiana hot sauce.

Believe it or not I can usually find nice juicy bone in fried chicken breasts at two places that most people here despise.

I'll let you guess which two.

Golden Corral and McDonalds?

Latest posts

Top Bottom